Dosing pump vs calcium reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im in the process of planning a 275 gallon reed build I've got all of necessities down except I'm trying to decide if I want to get a calcium reactor or dosing pump. The tank is going to be majority sps so i know that I'm going to need a steady flow of calcium to meet the demand. So what would be the best way to go as far as cost efficient simplicity and low risk of crashing my tank if something goes wrong ?I have an apex to monitor either one of this systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually, you are going to use more alkalinity than calcium. I prefer dosing over a reactor. I just feel it's easier as you can easily adjust each element separately.

Got ya, so what elements do you think I should dose besides calcium alkalinity

Besides calcium and alkalinity and magnesium ?

None. I don't even add calcium or mag. I do weekly water changes though. Apparently it's enough to keep those elements in line. It's just the alk that seems to get used up faster than the water changes will replenish.

X is pretty much right. It takes a tank loaded with stoney corals (like mine) to require dosing along with water exchanges. I don't exchange as much water as X does although our systems are similar in size. So I dose calcium, alk and some kalkwasser dosed with white vinegar (that's another topic). I rarely ever need to add mag. Only dose if tests show the need, otherwise water exchanges work fine.

Calcium reactors are deluxe and seem to provide a form of calcium the reef likes. But it is a pain. Extra sensors, valves, keeping the reactor full and balanced and toting a C02 tank around for filling. Too much work for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom