Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dosing purple tech

My tank is 3 months old. I want to add purple tech to start getting caroline algae.. But the bottle says it will raise calcium to the desired level... My API test kid is already telling me my calcium is over 580.. Much more than the test results even show... Do I still add purple tech? All other levels are neutral...or do I somehow need to lower calcium first? 150g with 50lbs of new cured rock. No caroline algae on rocks.. 3 small Kenya tree frags. That's it so far

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
My tank is 3 months old. I want to add purple tech to start getting caroline algae.. But the bottle says it will raise calcium to the desired level... My API test kid is already telling me my calcium is over 580.. Much more than the test results even show... Do I still add purple tech? All other levels are neutral...or do I somehow need to lower calcium first? 150g with 50lbs of new cured rock. No caroline algae on rocks.. 3 small Kenya tree frags. That's it so far
I would not add it. This is something that should grow naturally within your tank give the right water, lighting, temperature parameters.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've got water. And levels.... I'm experimenting with these LEDs tho..."12 and 14k 50w floods" if that's what they really are. I have no idea. They seem to be making the green algae thrive!!! Lol
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's seems fairly high for calcium. Do you add anything? Most reef salt mixes have 450-530 ppm. Normal salt is even less.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
I've got water. And levels.... I'm experimenting with these LEDs tho..."12 and 14k 50w floods" if that's what they really are. I have no idea. They seem to be making the green algae thrive!!! Lol
How long are you running your lights?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Has to be introduced to tank. Buy a rock or snail with some on it and scrap it off couple days later do it again. Some say turn your filters off for awhile after scraping I never did but helps the spores settle. Keep calcium normal levels and it will grow. I wouldn't add purple stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Has to be introduced to tank. Buy a rock or snail with some on it and scrap it off couple days later do it again. Some say turn your filters off for awhile after scraping I never did but helps the spores settle. Keep calcium normal levels and it will grow. I wouldn't add purple stuff.
It wasn't introduced in my tank at all. If anything, there must have been a small amount on one of the live rock, or a frag I purchased.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's cool! I scraped and scraped and a little growth. Then I started dosing alk and calcium cus alk was low and it took off.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only thing in my tank was crushed coral . Aragonite. And live sand. Calcium was that high. Added first 50lbs of rock.. Still that high.. Using the oceanic salt.. And lights were on for 10 hrs a day. But backed them down to 7 hours a day
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once it starts growing it will use calcium up. What kit are you using to test? Just seems high what's your alk reading? Usually high cal means low alk or high alk means low cal. Good read is advanced aquarist.com chemistry alk and calcium. Up to you to add purple up some on here added and had good success search the threads for it.

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com