Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Dosing question

I built myself an auto-topoff unit and I was wondering what additives I can put in the 5 gallon container so i would automatically get all the additives I need in my reef tank through my auto top-off. I have heard that I don't want to use a powder kind of calcium additive because it will sink down to the bottom and get sucked through my hose and mess things up. Right now i have Aragamilk and some iodine. I want to be able to add everything in the container and have an all-in-one mixture if you know what I mean. Pplease let me know what to use for a calcium additive and any other additives I might want to add for my reef tank. I also have a balance block in my tank right now which seems to work well.

Another thing is when I add the additves in my top-off water, do I add enough just for the 5 gallons, or enough for my whole system. I guess what I am asking is how much should I add to my top-off water to be able to forget about additives and let it go automatically for a week or so?

Joshsmit56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a post to move this up again, someone please help me with this post. I would really appreciate it

Joshsmit56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I dosed three days worth at a time of 2 part additive mixed with make-up water. I would recommend B-ionic
jks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
I don't really reco0mmend auto dosing additives until you really get to know your tank and it's consumption rates.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Is dosing through an auto top-off a good method? It doesn't sound consistent.. only when the water is being refilled does it get the dosage. Also if there was a way to bottle an all in one additive.. it would have been created but unfortunately there isn't without sacrificing your own tank's preferance and needs at certain times - What dosing methods are used commonly?
Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com