Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2004, 02:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dosing question

First of all I have an auto top off unit on a float switch that goes on with my water evaporates. I was wondering if there is a way that I can put my Kent calcium and pro buffer in my auto top off water and let it dose automatically. I am not really sure how I would do this and how much of each to add. My container can hold about 5 gallons and my tank and sump hoave probably right around 30 - 40 gallons of water. Any help would be great. I also thought of changing over to kalk but it seems kinda strong. What kind of tank would use kalk? I have some coralline algae but want a lot more, I have a gallaxia, star polyps, leather, kenya trees, and one other hard coral that I am not sure what it is (Got it when it was dying and it is coming back to life now )

Anyone that can help me would out there?

THanks,
Josh

Old 04-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I personally would add Kalk, kalkwasser (limewater) is a balanced additive, adding both CA and carbonate to the tank to keep your CA and Alk balanced. If you do not have a high CA demand, start with about 1/2 tsp per gallon of top off water, and test daily to make sure it is maintaining levels, if it's not, then add more kalk powder, if it is going high, use less. Once you dial it in, you can test weekly or bi-weekly and adjust as needed. When mixing kalk, you want to add the powder, mix and let it settle, then you use the clear (or milky depending on the concentration, fluid in the middle. You do not want the undissolved powder that settles or the CaCO3 skin on the top. Many will mix in their dosing container and have the pump an inch or so off the bottom to prevent any of the undissloved powder from getting into the tank. I personally mix in a seperate container and siphon it off into my dosing container. One thing to note, once you start dosing kalk, it shouldn't be too long before you start noticing a coraline explosion

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Agree with Kevin. I have a similar size reservoir (5 gal) and dosing with kalk is easy and convenient.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would it be alright with my float switch. Will it be adding to much kalk at one time? My float switch turns on often but only puts out a small amount of water. How long is a mixture of Kalk good for??

Thanks,
Josh
Old 04-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I use a float switch for my auto top off with kalk, and it does fine, mine comes on about every 5 minutes My kalk resevoir lasts me about a week and a half.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
My kalk resevoir lasts me about a week and a half.
!!
How much do you mix at a time?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey I just noticed where you are from Anomoneman, my mother lives in Fort Collins, it's a great city!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I mix 10g at a time, lasts about 10 days, give or take According to Randy Holmes Farley, the previous thoughts that kalk is only good for about 5 days, is not exactly accurate

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com