Dosing Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've pretty much learned most of the basic steps in keeping a SW tank but havn't found out how to keep my tank at optimal condition. The guy at the LFS said that i should dose weekly with the same amounts of substances (iodine, calcium, etc.). I am going to buy a water test kit this weekend and i have some questions:

1. Which brand or package of test kit would u recommend me buying? I have a 20G tank. Planning to have fishes and lotsa inverts

2. If i test the water and it is excess of say calcium, nitrite or iodine, how would i deal with that? Any way to remove them? Any article talk about keep the water condition?

3. This question is kind of off the dosing topic but anyway. I've noticed that my tank has algae on the glass and fish's waste on the sand. I don't know if my tank has a dead spot but there's an area on the sand bed that wastes usually stay there. I have 2 MaxiJet 600, which give 320GPH. I placed them on the back of the tank, facing each other but one is lower than the other. I also have 3 turbo snails and 2 scarlet hermit crabs. Would they do fine in cleaning my tank or should i buy some other cleaning species? I was thinking of buying those colorful slugs (I knew the name but it just won't come up to me right now) but i don't know which kind since i heard each type only eats certain things.

Thanks in advance guys. Y'all have been amazing

1. I use Seachem and prefer Salifert test kits.
2. Water changes, water changes, water changes..This is the key to quality conditions provided your source water is quality. *Never dose what you do not test for*..Best advice I ever saw posted on this site.
3. Need more info on your tank..What size? Sometimes all thats needed is to adjust the water flow to help deadspots.

Peace.

I have a 20G tank with 2 Maxijet-600 powerheads.

About water change, I've been buying pre-made saltwater from LFS but thinking about making my own at home. Which brand of salt should i get? Any procedure you want to tell me about in making my own saltwater? Thanks

BTW. The LFS sold me a Prime bottle from Seachem. It says on the label that it "Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia. Detoxifies Nitrite & Nitrate. Provides Slime Coat". Is it good to use? Is it another way to optimize my SW without water change?

Thanks alot guys

TheRealFF said:
About water change, I've been buying pre-made saltwater from LFS but thinking about making my own at home. Which brand of salt should i get?

Ask your LFS what brand they are using to make the "pre-made saltwater" and if at all possible use it. You can switch brands but some say its risky but if done should be done very slowly. I personally use Instant Ocean and have since I started my tank. My LFS uses Tropic Marin and swears by it.

TheRealFF said:
I have a 20G tank with 2 Maxijet-600 powerheads.

About water change, I've been buying pre-made saltwater from LFS but thinking about making my own at home. Which brand of salt should i get? Any procedure you want to tell me about in making my own saltwater? Thanks

BTW. The LFS sold me a Prime bottle from Seachem. It says on the label that it "Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia. Detoxifies Nitrite & Nitrate. Provides Slime Coat". Is it good to use? Is it another way to optimize my SW without water change?

Thanks alot guys

Basically use your hydrometer to bring the level of salt up to to your specification (Generally 1.021 to 1.026 depending on what your keeping) You want to use a pump to circulate the saltwater mix for roughly 12 - 24 hrs allowing it to 'buffer' up. That is the PH stabilizes and the salt is mixed. You should *never* mix salt in the tank. Pretty much jsut follow the directions on the container. As for brands, its all opinion. Most beginners go with Instant Ocean but any popular reef salt on the market will work for you. As for the Prime bottle, you don't need it if your using RO or RO/DI water. If your using tap water highly NOT recommended then you would use this to 'detoxify' the tap water removing (hopefully) harmful trace elements, etc. RO or RO/DI is your long term success friend. Look into it.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom