Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
If you decide to get into dosing:

I dose 2 part solution I make using supplies from Bulk Reef Supply. They have easy instructions to follow. I also installed timers and perastaltic pumps so the system is largely automated. It only requires filling the dosing vessels every 4-5 weeks or so and that is it.

Here is what my system setup looks like. The timers are the white boxes in the upper right, and the dosing pumps are hard to see but are lower left. The two containers hold the Calcium and Alkalinity Solutions:

Here is the system I have:
BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Total Package with Dosers - Bulk Reef Supply

Here is their instructions:
Instructions for Bulk Packaged Materials - Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply
I'll definitely dose when needed, I just wasn't sure when that would be, what to expect, whats best to use, etc. I wouldn't want the corals health/growth to be affected by anything I can help. I also wouldn't dose anything I can't test for.

That seems like it would make the dosing part much easier once a system like that was installed. I'd say it would be some time before I would need a setup like that. I would definitely have something like that if I had a larger tank and all to make things simpler.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you have that system set up? Like under the tank, in relation to a sump or something?

I ask because I don't have a sump or really any area under the tank where I'd be able to place anything like that, at least not without some more modifications. When I originally purchased the tank I did I wasn't thinking I was even going to house corals otherwise I would have done some things differently. Now thought I couldn't imagine not having corals, I find myself frequently wanting to order more.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Total Package with Dosers - Bulk Reef Supply

Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Lol Brian I posted the same link.

Yes it is setting next to my sump. You could very easily run it into a display tank though.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Yes it is setting next to my sump. You could very easily run it into a display tank though.
I will have to look into that. I had seen setups like this in browsing but never thought much about it as I didn't think I'd need a setup like that. Or rather need to dose an amount at some point that would make this much simpler and keep parameters more stable.

Was this a setup you invested in once your tank was full with corals and because it was easier and kept things more stable?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes, I added it about 7 months after setting my tank up.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yes, I added it about 7 months after setting my tank up.
Thanks for all the information. Now I know this will be a good option for down the road. I'm sure it would make things much easier on myself, less time consuming also, when I get to a point that I'm stocked with a larger amount and sizes of coral.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Nice, its a popular item and works great! Hands free for the most part once its set-up. Few adjustments and the demand grows but easy
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you're already using an auto topoff, you can add kalk (lime) to keep Alk & Ca levels up. It's quite effective for light-moderate demands and is as simple as mixing to your ATO reservoir.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
If you're already using an auto topoff, you can add kalk (lime) to keep Alk & Ca levels up. It's quite effective for light-moderate demands and is as simple as mixing to your ATO reservoir.
I'm not using an auto topoff, or sump, etc.

The only equipment I have for the tank, that isn't in the tank exactly, is my HOB skimmer. Reef Octopus BH2000.

For now I was wondering what supplements I should get, to at least have on hand even if I didn't need to dose just yet. I was just thinking about it in terms of me doing the dosing when needed, no setup.

Now though, I am beginning to wonder if a setup may be easiest, at least down the road.

I just don't know what to to expect in terms of my dosing schedule and when it may get difficult dosing without any sort of setup to take care of that. It is definitely something I'll have to look into.

I think I'll be okay for a while with what stock I have currently, especially after the replies I have gotten in this thread.

Just so much to take in as I'm just now really looking into dosing since I began adding corals a month or so ago, and LPS only recently.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your dosing needs will increase incrementally as you increase demands (adding coral or significant growth). It can be as simple as manual dosing between water changes. Once you get tired of that or can't keep up, then look at dosing pumps etc.

One thing you can do, since you don't have an ATO, is what I started off doing: dosing lime with my manual top off water. I imagine you add a bit of water daily to keep your water level in check so your skimmer operates properly. You can mix lime into it in a 1 gallon jug and slow drip it into your tank (1 drop every 1-2 seconds) over night.

Start with a mix of 1 tbsp per gallon of RODI water in the jug, drip through airline tubing using a ball valve or knots to control the drip rate. Depending on needs, you can mix up to 2 tbsp per gallon maximum. Don't add the milky stuff on the bottom of the mix & be sure to drip slow so your pH doesn't rise too much. Even if you only do this once or twice between water changes, it can help keep both alkalinity and calcium more stable. You can also do this with 2 part dosing as well on with calcium and Alk additions on opposite nights.

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com