Dottybacks, who's got them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've become obsessed with these guys. I have a red elongated one in my BC29 and a Springeri and Fridmani in my other. Yes, I have two in one tank. I added them both at the same time and have no issues at all, in fact, they hang out together. What do you got? I'm looking for pics possibly, of the indigo dottyback (not neon).

I have a Bicolor an it is fine he swims around and eats great I totally recommend them.

I have a bicolor also they have the best petsonalities

Any of you have firefish together I have heard stories and rumors about two together but mine are like best friends they even cuddle together in the same house rock with each other my dottyback likes to pick on them and scare them out of their house lol

Glad to hear of the interest in dottybacks. I haven't kept any myself for well over a decade, but though the years I guess I've kept 20 or so different species. I'm currently working on the descriptions of several new species, mostly from deepwater in Indonesia. Several others that I described within the past few years are starting to appear in the hobby. I've been chipping away on a guide to dottybacks and eelblennies (over 150 species), which I hope to complete in the next couple of years. Anyway, good to hear that there's interest in the group .... may spur me on to work a little faster on the guide book.

Tony

I really like Dottybacks also. I had a Diadem (Purple Stripe) in a 55g I had, but I lost him after Hurricane Irene back in 2011. It was very interesting because he grew a pretty good amount in the time that I had him, from LFS to August 2011. :)

I've become obsessed with these guys. I have a red elongated one in my BC29 and a Springeri and Fridmani in my other. Yes, I have two in one tank. I added them both at the same time and have no issues at all, in fact, they hang out together. What do you got? I'm looking for pics possibly, of the indigo dottyback (not neon).

I have an indigo in my 55 reef. Great fish. Very fast when it wants to move, but will hang out under overhangs. Ill try to snap a picture when I get home from work. I got him after reading about it being a hybrid of the purple and striped dottybacks (if I remember correctly) and it being so different from any other dottyback.

I have the sunrise and orchid great fish and bred in captivity. Easy to keep and bred at ORA much healthier and great looking fish. Petco were I live gets some very nice ones.

I'll tell you guys one thing, if anyone is planning on getting one, I REALLY recommend the red elongated dottyback. In the stores, their coloring is a little subdued, but after feeding them mysis, mine has grown (in only two months) and the coloring is fantastic. Jet black tail with a yellow outline, purplish/pink body and a bright orangish/pink head. His personality is almost like a dog. Even when one of my black ocs clown's tries to bully him, he stands his ground. It's very cool.

I have a purple dotty back that is at least 8 years old. Gram for gram he it a tough cookie. He doesn't attack anyone, but heaven help any fish that gives him attitude.

It's good to see there are more species available now. I'm not sure I'm too fussed about the indigo dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani X sankeyi), particularly when there are so many much more spectacular species out there without resorting to hybrids. It's good that P. elongatus is readily available, but there are quite a few other small, relatively common species that don't seem to make it into the trade (or at least not with any regularity). Do an image search on some of the following to see what I mean: Anisochromis (there are four species, including an undescribed one, all of which only grow a little over an inch; male Anisochromis kenyae are particularly cute - Image from FishWise Professional - Encyclopedia of Life); members of the Pseudoplesiopinae (Amsichthys, Chlidichthys, Lubbockichthys, Pectinochromis and Pseudoplesiops .... most are well under 2 inches), and some of the smaller Pseudochromis (P. striatus, P. luteus, P. coccinicauda, P. cyanotaenia, P. melanurus, P. tapeinosoma). Perhaps some of the commercial breeders could source breeding stock to make these species more readily available.

Tony

Purple dottyback

Attachments

• image-1590354960.jpg
    image-1590354960.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 103
Hellafish, that's Pseudochromis elongatus (yellow-head or elongate dottyback), which is from eastern Indonesia. There are a couple of very similar species: Pseudochromis fuligifinis - soot-tail dottyback - from the Philippines is a little drabber in coloration than P. elongatus; P. striatus - striped dottyback - from the northern Philippines, Taiwan and southern Japan - has a series of narrow black stripes on the side. All three species have the characteristic black marking on the tail.

Tony

Tony

There is my little guy

Attachments

• image-1635029603.jpg
    image-1635029603.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom