Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I only have a 5.5 gallon betta tank (for now )

We recently painted the ceiling of the room that my betta tank is in. We covered the tank, but didn't move it. We used low-odor paint from Sherwin Williams, called Harmony. It covered nicely and dried quickly. I hate paint fumes, but when I use this I'm ok with it, and my betta was fine too. A lot of paint brands now have a low-odor line. The Harmony can said zero VOC's.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Just to reiderate what was said. NEVER try to move a tank full of water. Even a small 10gal tank while its possible to physically move it the risk it to great that you could damage the tank by the shifting water causing possible harm to you.

Im not sure if I would avocate pushing the stand with the tank on it as the comercial stands you buy might be designed to support the weight of the tank they are not designed to have lateral pressure applied to them at the same time.

If the tank needs to be moved 5' or 500 miles the safest thing is to take the tank totally apart and move it and then put it back together. Do your work and when everything is finished you have to repeat the process.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:53 PM   #13
cj10488

Quote:
the safest thing is to take the tank totally apart and move it and then put it back together. Do your work and when everything is finished you have to repeat the process.
I highly Agree with this statement.. Doing the extra few hours worth of work is alot better that a few days worth of work trying to replaced the floor because 200g+ is spilled all over it.. Not to mention the fact of replacement costs if one or more broke.. I have a small 55g in the living room and had to move it an " away from the wall.. I drained it halfway and was able to pick the stand up and move it the inch that it needed to be... I was tempted to drain and empty the tank just to move it an Inch..

MHO,
James
Old 11-10-2003, 04:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I called Seachem and asked if Purigen would be good for removing paint fumes from the water. The lady told me that Hypersorb would be a better product to use since purigen only removes organics from the water while hypersorb pull out a lot of other "stuff".

I guess I will buy some Hypersorb as well and use them both when we decide to paint and hope for the best.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just moved, and taking the tank down sounds much harder than it is, and I had to go with a 120g and 55g down a flight of stairs .

Rubbermaid containers are your best short term friend, they are only like $5 for up to 40g containers. I placed everything in its own one: a bunch had as much water as feasible, two had fish, a few had LR, freshly mixed water, etc. When I got to my new place I just set everything back up and pumped the water back in. Just moving around your house you should not really even have any dieoff from the substrate drying, etc.

Just a note, if you try to move any tank with even a small amount of stuff in it (sand, rock, water), I would suggest placing the tank on plywood for support and to evenly distribute the weight.

Tags
move, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com