Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

As for doctor Tim's. It was in sale at my LFS for $15, so I bought one to cycle a 10g tank, it worked great and all parameters are in check!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any issues with fish or coral....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

No coral yet, but the fish are doing great!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Back to your main questions, you and your reef would have been much better off spending that $60 on salt, if you want to be successful, let nature takes its course
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Back to your main questions, you and your reef would have been much better off spending that $60 on salt, if you want to be successful, let nature takes its course
Could you be more specific as to why you say this? I have 2 tanks, a 140 Gallon that I did naturally with a table shrimp and a 40 Gallon that I used this product on. Both are doing great although the 40 gallon is under 6 months old. I'd like you to explain more about why using this product is wrong.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess its the same old issues, using chemicals and additives to speed up the natural processes of a reef. IF we all save the money that is spent on additives, snake oils and chemicals, and just do more frequent water changes, there would be a lot successful reefers and a lot more live specimens. It may work for you but too many newbies see post like this and run out and dump additives in and fish right after, then post why is everything dieting. We have reef tanks to have a small piece of nature but then we use additives and chemicals to do what nature doesn't do naturally.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
I guess its the same old issues, using chemicals and additives to speed up the natural processes of a reef. IF we all save the money that is spent on additives, snake oils and chemicals, and just do more frequent water changes, there would be a lot successful reefers and a lot more live specimens. It may work for you but too many newbies see post like this and run out and dump additives in and fish right after, then post why is everything dieting. We have reef tanks to have a small piece of nature but then we use additives and chemicals to do what nature doesn't do naturally.
I agree with everything you said. I will say however that if you use dry sand and dry rock there is no way to get the strains of bacteria that are found in the ocean to seed your tank. In this case using Dr. Tims product is a way to introduce the "correct" bacteria found in the ocean. I put that in quotes because the research I've done is limited to product marketing from Dr. Tim and other products like his so I do not have "proof" that they are the correct strains but I do weigh what he says more heavily as Dr. Tims PHD paper was on the bacteria strains found in the oceans. I agree that there are many products out there that claim to do certain things and which are of nebulous benefit, I do think based on my own experience that Dr. Tims product works as marketed but I would never recommend someone put anything living into a tank cycled with it without days of testing to ensure that the cycle levels are correct.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used it on a couple tanks. Works great... Usually cycles the tank in about. 6 days. It is the only product like this that I trust.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

My understanding is that it is just Biospira re-marketed.. Which Biospira is tried and true.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

IMO you can do something similar by seeding some live rock into the base rock and adding a carbon source. Bacterial will bloom exponentially. A bacterial source can turn into a organic waste source pretty quickly.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com