Dr. Tims one and only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I'm biased, because i acknowledge that seeding beneficial bacteria should speed up the cycling process. Bacteria of these types will not cause any damage even though there may be way too many of them and there might be a die off. Your skimmer will remove any dead bacteria. In some cases folks that carbon dose can have huge outbreaks of excess bacteria that clouds the water, but is harmless as long as they aren't allowed to deplete the oxygen levels in your water. Same should be the case with Dr. Tim's. But anything from an established reef like a live rock or even a filter sponge is also loaded with these bacteria. I don't think you can harm anything by using it to quick start your aquarium. Just let it all settle in before adding livestock IMO.

I don't think I'm biased, because i acknowledge that seeding beneficial bacteria should speed up the cycling process. Bacteria of these types will not cause any damage even though there may be way too many of them and there might be a die off. Your skimmer will remove any dead bacteria. In some cases folks that carbon dose can have huge outbreaks of excess bacteria that clouds the water, but is harmless as long as they aren't allowed to deplete the oxygen levels in your water. Same should be the case with Dr. Tim's. But anything from an established reef like a live rock or even a filter sponge is also loaded with these bacteria. I don't think you can harm anything by using it to quick start your aquarium. Just let it all settle in before adding livestock IMO.

Your completly off topic, I was asking for non biase scientific proof that living bacteria can live in an enclosed bottle stagnet invironment, I have a hard time believing that bacteria in a bottle is as good as a piece of shrimp decaying naturally and producing bateria. I'm not a scientist but I'm also not promoting anything, I can buy fresh salmon but I can also buy it in a can, which is better for me, obviously the fresh, IMHO bacteria is no different, just my opinion

The one "YOU" catch & eat the same day...not in the market is better for you. :angel:

Lol, 100% true �� Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime

Give a man a reef he enjoys it for a week, teach a man to reef and he enjoys it for a lifetime

Your completly off topic, I was asking for non biase scientific proof that living bacteria can live in an enclosed bottle stagnet invironment, I have a hard time believing that bacteria in a bottle is as good as a piece of shrimp decaying naturally and producing bateria. I'm not a scientist but I'm also not promoting anything, I can buy fresh salmon but I can also buy it in a can, which is better for me, obviously the fresh, IMHO bacteria is no different, just my opinion

I'm pretty sure that the decaying shrimp does not produce bacteria, the decaying shrimp provides food for the bacteria. Also I understand the are selling the product but it explains how long the bacteria live and how so I think it answers your question.

I agree. The shrimp is food. Just trying to answer the original question. I just reacted to your assumption that we were (or I am biased). I have an opinion and was offering it. Bacteria is bacteria.

I'm pretty sure that the decaying shrimp does not produce bacteria, the decaying shrimp provides food for the bacteria. Also I understand the are selling the product but it explains how long the bacteria live and how so I think it answers your question.

Where does the bateria come from, if we start with a sterile environment there is no bacteria, if your talking about lr then that's a whole another story. If you start with dead rock, new sand and new water there is no bacteria, the shrimp decays and creates bacteria, correct me if I'm wrong, a new tank will never cycle without a source, lr, shrimp, food, fish what ever

If they explained that bateria dies off in a week after being bottled would you buy it, that's why I ask for a non bias opinion, their information right or wrong us bias. They are selling a product.

We all do and try what we think is best, happy reeding to all

I have always added a seed rock or sponge to start the bacterial colony. But all organisms are loaded with bacteria. Perhaps the shrimp carries bacteria that start it's breakdown. A shrimp in a sterile environment would still decompose, right?

If they explained that bateria dies off in a week after being bottled would you buy it, that's why I ask for a non bias opinion, their information right or wrong us bias. They are selling a product.

We all do and try what we think is best, happy reeding to all

I agree, same thing with some phytoplankton and other filter feeder food. Even refrigerated the shelf life of live cells has to be limited.

I'm gonna jump in the debate here for a second. :)

I have in the past discouraged people from buying these miracle cycle in a bottle things. BUT after setting up at least 20 tanks over the last few years I am ready to give it a try. I chose this dr tims stuff based on the positive reviews and the information available to me.

i expect my bottle to arrive either later today, tuesday or wednesday at the latest. This is the first tank I am not using some form of existing cycled live rock so I am curious if it works. It's half experiment and half need I guess. I will be using it on my 40b and if it works there is enough in the bottle to use on my 60g, but I have a ton of live rock already so not sure if it would help or hurt. lokl
I will be listing my findings on my thread, named careys 40b something or another.
I also do not plan on adding any high bioload fish, this will be a micro and small fish tank mostly corals. So I dont expect to put a strain in the biosystem after the dr tims "cycling". Even if it gives you an accelerated "soft" cycle thats enough for my needs as I will be adding small fish and that in of itself will continue to strengthen the biosystem.
Wish me luck! I am a cynic til the end, but just have to know firsthand. :)

That is also what I plan on doing.... I will post all reading in my thread .... back in the tank game... I will list daily test readings and so forth and see if I notice anything different from other was of cycling.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so i got my dr. Tims today.... so as soon as I fill up the tank it will be time to start the test on how well this stuff workes.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dr. Tim's is great stuff. I've used it a few times. I most recently used it in December on a 45 gallon. It was cycled in 7 days. Only saw .25 ppm ammonia for a day and nitrite never went over .12 ppm. I had a large Ryukin (7-8") in there and then had to move an equally large Moor (tail damage from a rowdy male) into the tank. Even though the bio load was suddenly doubled, there wasn't any spike in ammonia or nitrite.

Follow the directions to the letter and you'll be fine.

I'm on day three of dr tims in my 40b. Put it in tuesday and dosed ammonia to 2ppm. Yesterday it was at 2ppm ammonia and .50 nitrite
Today maybe 1.5 ammonia and 1.0 at least of nitrite
:)
Something is definitely going on in the tank lol, but what do I do next? The ammonia I expect to keep getting lower and the nitrites will spike of course. Then the trates.
but do I have to re-dose the ammonia? Or the dr tims'?

These are the directions from his site:

Day 1 – dose ammonia to 3 ppm ammonia-nitrogen [NH3-N] max. If using DrTim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying bacteria add it now (turn skimmer, UV and ozone off and remove filter socks for 48 hours).
Day 2 – do nothing.
Days 3, 5, 8, 11 (every 3 days) – measure ammonia and nitrite. Do nothing on days 4, 6, 9 and 10.
When ammonia and nitrite are both less than 0.5 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add more ammonia to 3 ppm NH3-N.
Now measure ammonia and nitrite every day.
When ammonia and nitrite are both 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add more ammonia to 3 ppm.
Continue to measure every day – when the water is able to process ammonia and nitrite to 0 ppm within 24 hours, you’re done!
Do a partial water change and add some fish.
Tips and Troubleshooting:

IMPORTANT – Do not let the ammonia or nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm.
If either ammonia or nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm, do water changes to lower the concentration.
Do not let the pH drop below 7. If it does, do a partial water change to bring the pH back up.
Now measure every day – when ammonia and nitrite are both 0 ppm, add more ammonia.
Do not add ammonia removers to bind the ammonia – overdosing with these products will just increase the cycling time.
You do not have to add ammonia everyday – the bacteria do not have to be fed every day.

That is awesome! Thank you so much!
I will probably continue to test everyday cause I'm anal like that. lol
So two more dosings and I'll be done. :)

Guess now I just have to wait. bleh.....hate waiting. lol Should've used live rock. lol

You're very welcome! He has a lot of information on his site. Dr. Tim is the guy who actually discovered the specific strains of bacteria that are present in aquariums and that's why his products work.

He should send you the product for free as a result of your endorsements! :)
I'm not sure he can take credit for being first to identify nitrifying bacteria that grows in aquarium filtration. Those bacteria have been identified for ages. He also shouldn't take full credit for figuring out a form of biodegradable injection mold plastic beads can be used as a carbon source. But he has marketed these approaches well. Injecting a brand new aquarium with beneficial bacteria colonies should have no down side and should certainly speed up a new cycle. But I don't think it is smart to dump a load of live stock into the tank after pouring the stuff in as we see on some tv shows.

Back
Top Bottom