Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
My understanding is that it is just Biospira re-marketed.. Which Biospira is tried and true.

Where did you get that info? From what I see, totally different marketing and Dr Tim's claims they developed their product. I don't really care, as many products are relabeled, but I have never heard this claim before about Dr Tims.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

His bio beads are just raw biodegradable plastic beads for a injection molding machine. You buy that stuff in 50 gallon drums.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
His bio beads are just raw biodegradable plastic beads for a injection molding machine. You buy that stuff in 50 gallon drums.

I thought they were talking about One & Only bacteria. I've never tried their other products, so I can't speak for those. Regarding that product, I have seen it work, so it always makes me question why people that have never used it, talk about it like it is bad or question it. After about six days, it brings an aquarium dosed with ammonia down to zero within 24 hours. IMO, if it gets my tank to cycle in a week, I am about a month ahead of doing it the smelly, rotting shrimp method. That method works (I've done that too), as does dosing with ammonia, I'm just impatient with cycling. A bad trait in saltwater, but it is just how I am.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man o man did I just open a can of worms over this stuff.... lol well I have it on order and will test it out.... I am sure it is going to work out.... All I have is heard good stuff about it.... just wish it was a little cheaper

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mango View Post
Man o man did I just open a can of worms over this stuff.... lol well I have it on order and will test it out.... I am sure it is going to work out.... All I have is heard good stuff about it.... just wish it was a little cheaper

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You are talking about Tanked and bacteria in a bottle. Both are very very debatable and have started plenty of arguments. Try it out and tell if it works! No point in arguing.

Everyone will have different opinions. So you are the only person who can see if it will work for you.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dr. Tims one and only

I am an old stick in the mud, like Todd!

My mantra is to not get in a hurry with a reef. So the extra few days or week a natural cycle affords suits me. I am sure saturating a new system with bacteria jump starts the cycle, but I wonder what the effect of so much excess bacteria is. My bet is 75% of it dies off, but maybe that's no issue. If it works, it works, I'm just not in that big a hurry.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am an old stick in the mud, like Todd!

My mantra is to not get in a hurry with a reef. So the extra few days or week a natural cycle affords suits me. I am sure saturating a new system with bacteria jump starts the cycle, but I wonder what the effect of so much excess bacteria is. My bet is 75% of it dies off, but maybe that's no issue. If it works, it works, I'm just not in that big a hurry.
+1, my point exactly, let nature take it's course 😊, we know nature works long term, chemicals?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

In fairness, it's not really a chemical. It's very much like the stuff we use to use to start a sand filter system. Just a bunch of bacteria.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
In fairness, it's not really a chemical. It's very much like the stuff we use to use to start a sand filter system. Just a bunch of bacteria.
So I'm always looking to learn, so can bacteria live in a closed up bottle? And if so does it multiply while setting on the shelf or do they slowly die off living in a stagnet closed invironment
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
So I'm always looking to learn, so can bacteria live in a closed up bottle? And if so does it multiply while setting on the shelf or do they slowly die off living in a stagnet closed invironment
One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria FAQ's | DrTim's Aquatics

Second to last question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com