Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post
Thanks but they are pushing it, wonder if anyone has a non biases scientific opinion

Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dr. Tims one and only

I don't think I'm biased, because i acknowledge that seeding beneficial bacteria should speed up the cycling process. Bacteria of these types will not cause any damage even though there may be way too many of them and there might be a die off. Your skimmer will remove any dead bacteria. In some cases folks that carbon dose can have huge outbreaks of excess bacteria that clouds the water, but is harmless as long as they aren't allowed to deplete the oxygen levels in your water. Same should be the case with Dr. Tim's. But anything from an established reef like a live rock or even a filter sponge is also loaded with these bacteria. I don't think you can harm anything by using it to quick start your aquarium. Just let it all settle in before adding livestock IMO.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I don't think I'm biased, because i acknowledge that seeding beneficial bacteria should speed up the cycling process. Bacteria of these types will not cause any damage even though there may be way too many of them and there might be a die off. Your skimmer will remove any dead bacteria. In some cases folks that carbon dose can have huge outbreaks of excess bacteria that clouds the water, but is harmless as long as they aren't allowed to deplete the oxygen levels in your water. Same should be the case with Dr. Tim's. But anything from an established reef like a live rock or even a filter sponge is also loaded with these bacteria. I don't think you can harm anything by using it to quick start your aquarium. Just let it all settle in before adding livestock IMO.
Your completly off topic, I was asking for non biase scientific proof that living bacteria can live in an enclosed bottle stagnet invironment, I have a hard time believing that bacteria in a bottle is as good as a piece of shrimp decaying naturally and producing bateria. I'm not a scientist but I'm also not promoting anything, I can buy fresh salmon but I can also buy it in a can, which is better for me, obviously the fresh, IMHO bacteria is no different, just my opinion
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
I can buy fresh salmon but I can also buy it in a can, which is better for me, obviously the fresh

The one "YOU" catch & eat the same day...not in the market is better for you.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
The one "YOU" catch & eat the same day...not in the market is better for you.
Lol, 100% true �� Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime

Give a man a reef he enjoys it for a week, teach a man to reef and he enjoys it for a lifetime
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Your completly off topic, I was asking for non biase scientific proof that living bacteria can live in an enclosed bottle stagnet invironment, I have a hard time believing that bacteria in a bottle is as good as a piece of shrimp decaying naturally and producing bateria. I'm not a scientist but I'm also not promoting anything, I can buy fresh salmon but I can also buy it in a can, which is better for me, obviously the fresh, IMHO bacteria is no different, just my opinion

I'm pretty sure that the decaying shrimp does not produce bacteria, the decaying shrimp provides food for the bacteria. Also I understand the are selling the product but it explains how long the bacteria live and how so I think it answers your question.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree. The shrimp is food. Just trying to answer the original question. I just reacted to your assumption that we were (or I am biased). I have an opinion and was offering it. Bacteria is bacteria.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post
I'm pretty sure that the decaying shrimp does not produce bacteria, the decaying shrimp provides food for the bacteria. Also I understand the are selling the product but it explains how long the bacteria live and how so I think it answers your question.
Where does the bateria come from, if we start with a sterile environment there is no bacteria, if your talking about lr then that's a whole another story. If you start with dead rock, new sand and new water there is no bacteria, the shrimp decays and creates bacteria, correct me if I'm wrong, a new tank will never cycle without a source, lr, shrimp, food, fish what ever
Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If they explained that bateria dies off in a week after being bottled would you buy it, that's why I ask for a non bias opinion, their information right or wrong us bias. They are selling a product.

We all do and try what we think is best, happy reeding to all
Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have always added a seed rock or sponge to start the bacterial colony. But all organisms are loaded with bacteria. Perhaps the shrimp carries bacteria that start it's breakdown. A shrimp in a sterile environment would still decompose, right?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com