Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dragon Wrasse is Sleeping During Feeding Time

Hi,

I have a dragon wrasse which buries itself from around 4:00PM each day. I get home about 5:30-6:00PM at which time I feed my fish. The dragon wrasse is under the sand and doesn't have the opportunity to feed.

There is nobody at home during the day to feed it. What can I do?

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Is the wrasse up and about when you get up in the morning, before you go to work? If so, feed it thn

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No it is not. I leave pretty early. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

my firefish is the same way. He is sleeping when I feed at 6am
he used to miss feedings popping out of his rock after everyone ate all the food.

What I did was feed the serving over a few minutes.
feed a little bit of the serving and while everyone is feeding
let a few minutes pass. then feed a little more. wait a few minutes.
usual the FireFish is scrambling for food before I finsh the serving.
Once he is out and about I try to target the food his way.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Also, how good is your lighting since my wrasse once it;s starts darkening or thier is sudden loud noises they get spoked and hide.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My lights do not turn off until around 9:30pm. They turn on around 1:00pm. The lights are brand new, one white, the other blue. I will confess that one of them is a little low on wattage, but it is most certainly bright enough to light the room up a nice bluish haze.

My wrasse completely buries itself and I don't feel like poking around the sand to find him since I might injure him.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

When I feel it's usually slowly over a 10 minute period so that I can be sure all of the food gets eaten by the fish and not floating around pointlessly.

Again, any thoughts on what I can do?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
I can only suggest to either turn the lights on earlier and feed him before you go to work or when you feed the tank, do the feeding thrugh a 5 minute period slowly releasing food every minute in order for him to come out and then he will eat.
Also, try garlic or Entice in order for him to come out of hiding and eat.

Tags
dragon, feeding, sleep, sleeping, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com