Dragonet (Mandarin) doesn't like it when lights go out !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eltonhodges

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I finally realized the other day that my tank is extremely stable, and I moniter all my parameters religiously.
So I finally picked up my Dragonet. The only thing that is really beginning to alarm me is his reaction to the lights going out. I don't know if he's going to hurt himself or not.
As soon as the metal halides go out, he absolutely reaces around the aquarium and almost sounds as if he's knocking himself out. It's really not something I like hearing. He's really taken well to the tank, already feeding off the bottom and sort of has his area. No problems with the rest of the inhabitants. I'm wondering if I should install some sort of interim light source. Like a 100% actinic to go on 10 minutes before the Halides go off, and about 20 minutes after Halides out. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for them, or is it something that I should be getting worried about. If so, what can I do to minimize this. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

yes alot of fish will have that reaction to all light going off at one time !! yes you would be better to have the antinics come on 1/2 hour before and after ya mh :)

Also be sure the tank is not an open top and covered by eggcrate material or something else permiable. Dragonets can also decide to go carpet surfing if they are having that kind of reaction. I had one do a similar thing as yours.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys!

Thank you for your prompt replies. I am going to make up a system to fit in with the MH's so that it can come on half an hour before lights out, and stay on for half an hour after. Just a plain blue bulb should work, shouldn't it? It's just to give the appearance of dusk. I can't fit my PC in with my MH hood. (Too small of a hood). So I thought if I went to a small 15 watt blue incandescent, it should work. What's your thoughts on that...
Also, thanks for warning me about the top, I've got a complete glass cover, but never hurts to know when your fish are prone to long jumping.

yes that will work !! before i found this site i always had a prob keeping jawfish in the tank and it was due to the light turning off all at one time !! since then ive had two without a top on the tank along with other so called jumpers and have yet have one jump !! knock on wood hehe but has to be the gentle on/off lighting :)

Perhaps the transition would be even less harsh if you have moonlights running 24/7. Those little L.E.D setups are real cheap and easy to install anywhere too.

I agree with the moonlights...Heck even a cheap night light nearby will keep a little illumination in the room. My fish go to bed around 9:30 pm...they slip off one by one..The damsels then the blenny, wrasse, dottyback and the last one is the huma and lemonpeel....My attinic stays on last and when that goes off with room lights still on the trigger makes a nice slow b line to a large barnacle he sleeps in. Remember in nature the sun slowly sets and the moon keeps some light on the reefs.

Back
Top Bottom