Dragonface Pipefish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm planning on picking up a dragonface pipefish this Thursday. It would be going in my 70 gallon mixed reef tank. I've only seen these pipefish in mixed reef tanks (both times they were SPS dominant with high flow and lots of fish), but a lot of info is leaning towards treating them like other pipefish and seahorses (picky eaters, slow-moving fish, etc.).

Are there any tips for keeping this awesome creature? Should I get 2 since it's said to best to keep them in pairs/groups?

I've kept freshwater pipefish and I can tell you they are best kept alone or with slow species. They are a joy to have.

Yes, treat it like a seahorse. IMO, it's not going to do well in a community tank unless you can get it to take prepared foods.

Yes, treat it like a seahorse. IMO, it's not going to do well in a community tank unless you can get it to take prepared foods.

Is there a way to do that besides putting the pipefish in a small area and trying to train it? The shop owner I'm buying from is feeding thrice daily and eventually they took the food. Don't think that would be a proven method though.

Did you actually see it eat? Also, seahorses and pipefish are not aggressive creatures. They would eventually starve in a community tank simply because they can't compete with fast tangs, dottybacks, clowns, and the like. I would not recommend this.

Good point. He had 3 mandarins as well which were very fat and healthy. The pipefish would be eating copepods mostly though so how would that be competing?

You said it ate prepared foods....If you are tossing food in your tank, surely the other fish are gonna feel a little left out and try to join in.
Do you have anything else in the tank that might eat pods?

Sorry I wasn't clear with that. He has 2 or 3 in his 180 and is getting one from the wholesaler. I'm assuming it's only eating copepods. I have a mandarin that eats nutramar. That would be something to worry about. What if I separately cultured copepods to have a steady source?

Back
Top Bottom