Dreading vacation season !!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
Trying to get my tank on cruise control before the summer hits. !!! Must sustain it self for 9 day stretches !!! Lighting good ...added a ato with a 5 gal jug trying to get less evaporation from my sump trying to cover it more !! Filter socks lasting 10 days good!! Scared about the swc skimmer only 2 weeks old but I have been tinkering with it every few days scared to run a drain to a bucket incase it overflows !! Now it's in the sump if it overflows it will just flow into sump !! Hope that ain't bad !! And once in a while a coral falls over hope I dont loose any !!! Last is feeding have not worked that out yet !! Have a auto feeder from ehime but the pellets or flakes soon as it hits the water it goes into overflow to sump !!! Any ideas anyone ??? Have a feeding ring going to buy some magnets and glue them to the cheap suction cup and make the ehime dump into the ring !! There got to be a better way !! Some body has to invent something people there's money to be made here lol

Is there anyone you can trust to watch the tank? Some things cannot be automated. I do not trust feeders as they can run amok. In fact, I would almost rather not feed them but maybe a few times by a human if possible.

Smithcinema said:
Trying to get my tank on cruise control before the summer hits. !!! Must sustain it self for 9 day stretches !!! Lighting good ...added a ato with a 5 gal jug trying to get less evaporation from my sump trying to cover it more !! Filter socks lasting 10 days good!! Scared about the swc skimmer only 2 weeks old but I have been tinkering with it every few days scared to run a drain to a bucket incase it overflows !! Now it's in the sump if it overflows it will just flow into sump !! Hope that ain't bad !! And once in a while a coral falls over hope I dont loose any !!! Last is feeding have not worked that out yet !! Have a auto feeder from ehime but the pellets or flakes soon as it hits the water it goes into overflow to sump !!! Any ideas anyone ??? Have a feeding ring going to buy some magnets and glue them to the cheap suction cup and make the ehime dump into the ring !! There got to be a better way !! Some body has to invent something people there's money to be made here lol

You can turn off your skimmer and sump for 9 days. As long as you have powerheads in your tank you should be fine.

That's the problem I dont my neighbor feeds my pond fish but that would be a lot to ask to unset alarms and enter my house I don't think she would be comfortable !! My fish look like piranha if I feed them a hour late everyday !! It's a real problem don't want to be sitting on a beach worrying about my tank

Going to monitor skimmer if it does give me problems that's a good idea I'll turn the skimmer off

Im going on vacation this week and i just bought an automatic feeder. $20 at petco. I am testing it before i go to make sure it works.

U should try to just leave on sump/filter and move the auto feeder then wet the food a little and it will sink faster also my fish are young and went 4 days without food before just feed heavy before you leave then set up ur auto to drop in every 3 days if possible they will live but just check everything when u get back!,thank god im only goin on a 5 day cruise lol ill put some pellits on the damp lid of my tank then after about 2 days of evapor it gets too heavy and drops in lol im an evil genious!

Fish can go quite a while without feeding in an established reef. Some inverts, coral might disappear though, lol

Unless you are feeding polyps like sun corals, the lighting supplies the vast majority of their immediate needs. The scavengers also can go a while. Fish can forage on a old well established reef for a long time. But it is all depending on the condition and type of tank you have.

Back
Top Bottom