Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hate to sound like a downer bettaowner but it adds up very quickly. I am currently working on a 125 setup now. I have the tank, the lighting, sump, overflow, and uv light. I am having a stand built. I am already in well over 1200 and I still need sand, a pump, live rock, and a heater. This will probably bring my total in over 1800 and this is all before any live stock. It's well worth it but I would try to maybe start a bit smaller and try to find a full setup on Craigslist or online.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This tank won't be setup any time soon. I was just wondering if the choice of lighting and livestock was good. Any ideas. Cost will be a river to cross latter.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stock and LEDs are great choices. You can find a great selection of LEDs now a days for a decent price that will support any coral including sps. Can I ask why you wouldnt consider going a little larger? Not trying to convince you but a 125 will be much easier to find and probably cheaper in the long run as well. Most 125's are 6 ft which you can find the other tank and media products. Just saying... Oh an keep your eye open on Craigslist. You'd be surprised what people will get rid of for close to nothing especially around rent time. I picked up a 1/4 hp chiller for 50 bucks. All it needed was a new filter and good to go.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would have no problems getting the 125. Are there any other fish or corals I could add? Maybe a wrasse or some zoas?

Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well with a 125 they are normally 6 feet long, which opens quite a few more options for tangs. Also they are normally around 3 feet deep so your not limited to any coral as mh will be more than enough for any coral you wish to grow. And a reef safe wrasse would be a great addition as well as most any other reef safe fish. You can prob do some pretty in depth research on your stock list by going to liveaquaria.com and looking at their reef safe fish. Since its a ways away until you plan to build your tank, you can really take the time to plan this entire thing out. If you are planning to build a reef, I would recommend looking into a Refugium if possible. They really are beneficial towards a reef.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Well with a 125 they are normally 6 feet long, which opens quite a few more options for tangs. Also they are normally around 3 feet deep so your not limited to any coral as mh will be more than enough for any coral you wish to grow. And a reef safe wrasse would be a great addition as well as most any other reef safe fish. You can prob do some pretty in depth research on your stock list by going to liveaquaria.com and looking at their reef safe fish. Since its a ways away until you plan to build your tank, you can really take the time to plan this entire thing out. If you are planning to build a reef, I would recommend looking into a Refugium if possible. They really are beneficial towards a reef.
Not quite 3ft deep, my 135 measures 72x18x24, I believe a 125 is 72x18x22, but yeah If your looking to go big i believe the 125/135 or a 180 is the way to go. They are big enough to *nearly hold anything you want, but not so big that you have a bunch of super high end custom stuff to run the tank. You start getting into the 240g range the price increases dramatically.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1, I have seen some 125's at 3 feet high. I was just saying that metal halides would suffice for any coral especially if the the tank is under 3 feet deep. IMO a 180 is a bit too big for a starter tank, especially as media does seem to take a jump in price. That's just me though. It really comes down to your stock list and what you want, plan, or no offense I hope, afford. Saltwater, as you will learn, can get very expensive very fast.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi all,
Not sure why most responses are about costs, this is just dreaming like, "if I win the lottery i'l l...". So my dream tank will be a in wall buld 8-10 ft. long, 4 ft. tall, 4 ft. front to back. With Radon lighting and vortec power heads so i can have lightning storms in my tank. The lighting and flow will be varied in parts of the tank so I can keep every type of coral I want. All the plumbing and hardware will go into the back room or down to the basement. (need to buy more lotto)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it's more along the lines a possible dream tank. As in Bettaowner wants a salt tank one day and his "dream" would be to do...

Btw, that would be an awesome tank. 1200 gallons would be huge and you could do so so much with it.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do all reef tanks need a refugium?

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com