Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I run fans, t-5s and the shed. No chiller and I'm in so cal as well. I have only had two or three days during that 110 + week we had while back where my temp hit 82. The new 125 I'm building will have mh so I'm going to add fans and see how that does. Other than those few days, no probs. I did however forget to mention that the air in the house kicks on at 85 at most.

LEDs put off very little heat if any at all. You shouldn't have any probs especially with a chiller.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are mandarin fish reef safe? They look cool but I would need a good refugium and I would prefer to have no other fish so there's no competition for food.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes and I loved mine. He decided to commit suicide a few weeks ago and jump on the glass top unfortunately. I really wanna buy another one but I'm doing an upgrade and wanna get the pods up a bit more before I add another one. The way they swim and have a really cool personality too.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'll stick with the single mandarin. Or is there something I can keep with it.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In a 100 gallon tank still?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll put the mandarin in the 125.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can def add a mandarin in with your stock. If I remember you only ha a few fish on your list. They are def one of my favorite fish I watch swim. My wife actually picked mine out and named him tyedye. A friend has three in his 180 and has never had any probs. I am thinking of getting two for my new tank.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just go with the one mandarin. I don't think I could have a refugium big enough for three mandarins. It would be cool though.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02
I run fans, t-5s and the shed. No chiller and I'm in so cal as well. I have only had two or three days during that 110 + week we had while back where my temp hit 82. The new 125 I'm building will have mh so I'm going to add fans and see how that does. Other than those few days, no probs. I did however forget to mention that the air in the house kicks on at 85 at most.

LEDs put off very little heat if any at all. You shouldn't have any probs especially with a chiller.
Im in nor cal & use LEDs but I had to go with a chiller cuz I got no ac. Room temp caused reef to hit 84 on 95 degree days. I got chiller before summer and 100s started.

I too have expanded thru the wall into the garage for equipment. So far I have 20# Co2 tank, chiller, & second skimmer plumbed thru the wall with ATO, RO/DI, and salt mixing station to follow in time. Wife gets grouchy when I talk about it so I just do it and she finds out after it's done lol.

My dream tank I plan on at some point in this house (hopefully move to better suited house) will be to open a wall and set in a 8' - 10' long x 4' x 4' reef with all equipment in a "mechanical" (bedroom lol) room behind the wall.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
I would just go with the one mandarin. I don't think I could have a refugium big enough for three mandarins. It would be cool though.
An established tank would be able to sustain three. I wouldn't just go and buy even one for at least a few months. I also know that my buddy adds about a bottle a month of pods. His fuge isn't very big either and they are all nice n fat. He has one that will eat brine but that took him a while to get him to do it.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com