Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dream reef tank

I am a freshwater fishkeeper but I wish I had a reef tank more than anything. I would want a 100 gallon reef tank with LED lights For corals I'm thinking mushrooms, gorgonians, bubble coral, rice coral, brain coral, and maybe acroporas. I would want some hardy zoas too. For fish I think clownfish, gobies, anthias, and maybe a tang. Any ideas? Does this sound like a good idea or does this have more holes in it than swiss cheese?

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could probably be done on a shoestring budget of around $1500. I'm working on a 135g myself with similar goals, it's mostly an issue of time and money.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

100 gal with all of that, I would put a budget of around 2000 and up. This is only because assuming you only have freshwater fish, there a quite a few things you need that you probably dot have as of now. You can do it, ask lots Of questions on here. Everyone is great and full I knowledge.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try to find a reef club in your area You'll find the best deals and advice there (and here) I get some hard to find corals from my club most frags are $10 or less

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
I am a freshwater fishkeeper but I wish I had a reef tank more than anything. I would want a 100 gallon reef tank with LED lights For corals I'm thinking mushrooms, gorgonians, bubble coral, rice coral, brain coral, and maybe acroporas. I would want some hardy zoas too. For fish I think clownfish, gobies, anthias, and maybe a tang. Any ideas? Does this sound like a good idea or does this have more holes in it than swiss cheese?

Sounds awesome. If you're buying a tank might as well through a few more gallons in. If you're already at 100 why not go 125 or something. The bigger the tank the easier to keep and the more fish you can have. You're starting big anyway (I started with 14 gallon) so any equipment you need (sump, skimmer, heaters, ect) will have to be rated for a large tank anyway....

Just my 2 cents, a 100 gallon would be amazing too...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It can be done. You can do it slowly like I did. There is no rush.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well you will need alot of $$$ or else its not possible :/
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

lol ya money helps, that or a big credit limit on the card...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Break down of my costs do far, and some of my projected costs:

Tank and stand - I traded about $350 worth of computer parts for a 135g tank and stand.

Stand- stand was bad so I'm building my own. I have $90 in lumber, and will put another $50 in paint and trim, handles hinges ect. So $150

Sump- got a 55g off Craigslist for $50.
1200gph overflow kit off eBay -$ 60
1050gph deep blue triton 4 return pump- $80
Around 6 baffles cut from glass shop- $50
Misc plumbing approx. $50
Protein skimmer- approx. $200
Heaters- approx. -$60
Refugium DIY led approx 20-30w -$50
I bought a rack mount electrical control-$30

Led lighting- I'm either going with 3 taotronics 120w leds. Or 3 x 100w emitters DIY Kessil style, with some DIY accent lighting. Either of these will be around $400.

Sand and rock- I just posted a thread on cheap sand so maybe $20 for sand, and probably $250 for a starter pack of live rock approx . 50lbs, may add more live rock and base rock later to spread the expense out. 50lbs would be a start and help the tank stabilize during the cycling process. So all and all approx. $300

Then the live stock, and that will be an ongoing thing who knows what will be spent on that.

So all and all around $1500, I've budgeted so far. I'm a little less than half way through my project, my next purchases will be paint for the stand, a protein skimmer, and the sump baffles. These items will be purchased in the next couple weeks. I just bought the return pump.

I have a time frame of around 4 months on this project.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For a 100g or larger reef, you will easily need a budget of $2000-$2500+, and that's doing some serious value shopping.

I got my 28g nano for a nice price on CL, have scored a few very sweet deals on critters & corals, and I can easily say I still have $1500 wrapped up in this little thing when you add up all stuff that has to be purchased.... sand, rock, heater, power strips, timers, powerheads, decent skimmer, refractometer, quality tests kits, RODI system, salt mix, etc, etc.... a lot of it is smaller stuff that can be spread out, but it adds up FAST.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com