Dreamer/Nightmare 135 gal. Tank Diary(3.12.07 update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamerTheresa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Fellow AA member and my male accomplice, Nightmare (who has yet to post here, and needs to do so, or risk public flogging and dire embarrassment), and I are new to this whole saltwater madness.

It's been a while since I've kept a tank (probably ten years?), and the tanks my family and I have always run were freshwater set ups.

Mike/Nightmare's last set up was in the same tank we're using, a 135 gallon Oceanic (http://www.oceanicsystems.com/), housing a pair of Pacus.

Thus far, we have 80 pounds of sand in the tank (and I figure we'll put another 20-40 pounds in there after all is said and done).

Wednesday, we set up 50 pounds of base rock, and 50 pounds of live rock in the tank. We're going to go to the LFS tomorrow and get another couple pieces of rock, as I think it looks quite dinky with what we have, and I figure the more rock, the better.

Other specs are:

1 MarineLand Emperor BioWheel 400 filter
1 Red Sea Prizm Pro DeLuxe Protein Skimmer
1 Penguin 1140 powerhead (with one more in the works)
an Accura 300 water heater,
and a Rena 400 air pump for the air stones.

Pictures of the tank are located at:
http://www.dreamertheresa.com/feesh

Checked the ammonia levels yesterday and today, and were at about .3 both times.

The rock we put in the tank on Wednesday was curing in their tank for about a week before we go it.

Hopefully we have enough to be able to cycle the tank with rock. If not, we'll go pick up a bag o' frozen shrimp sometime next week and share our shrimp alfredo with the tank.

Tentative plans for stocking are:
3 blue flasher fairy wrasses (and/or 2-3 barlette's anthias)
1 flame angel fish (or other dwarf angel)
5 green chromis damsel fish
1 royal gramma
2 ocellaris clown fish
1-2 butterfly fish (not sure what kind yet)
1 purple tang

Curious as to how soon we can add a snail or two or three. I'm dying to have something moving around in the tank. :)

Um you should be able to start adding stuff in small quantities at a time when there is no detectable trace of ammonia or nitrite in the tank. When you start to see nitrate you know you are cycling normally. Keep in mind that high nitrate is also dangerous and needs to be removed by water changes or by the use of a skimmer to prevent organic crude from breaking down in the first place. Could be a week or two depending on how your bacteria levels are in the tank. If you have an ammonia source in the tank right now I wouldnt add any more and prolong the cycle.

By the way nice setup you got there. Oceanic does make some nice furniture for there aquariums. :D

I hope the rock is on the bottom and not on top of the sand? If it is on top of the sand this will cause dead spots which can be bad for the tank. Also if you get any sand sifters or burrowers they can cause the rock to tumble. Nice aquascaping by the way and I don't think it looks dinky.

The rock is pushed down into the sand quite a bit, most of it is touching the bottom of the tank. However, since I'll be shoulder-deep in the tank again tomorrow, I'll double-check and make sure that it's all IN the sand, rather than ON the sand.

Thanks for the tip.

That looks ike a nice set up. I noticed you have a glass top. If so, this could trap heat and will definitely reduse gas exchance "surface ripple", which may cause a low pH. Keep in mind, stable pH is best, even if it is a little low. I shoot for 7.8-8.2. Also, pH will swing between lights out and lights on.

It does look very nice. If you get good LR you will have some stuff moving around in no time. If you get enough Live Rock(LR) you can probably get away with not even using the bio-wheel since you are using a skimmer.

Did you get the deluxe prism? Also, I would really use 2 heaters. The 300 is only rated for 100 gallons max. Another of that size would work. Speaking of heaters, titanium is best because due to the corrosive nature of salt so eventually it may be good to get some.

Good Luck

Hi,

I'm Mike, Theresa's male accomplice. :)

Mike469 said:
Did you get the deluxe prism?

Yes, we got the deluxe with the surface skimmer cup, etc.

lemonheadmech said:
When you start to see nitrate you know you are cycling normally. Keep in mind that high nitrate is also dangerous and needs to be removed by water changes or by the use of a skimmer to prevent organic crude from breaking down in the first place. Could be a week or two depending on how your bacteria levels are in the tank. If you have an ammonia source in the tank right now I wouldnt add any more and prolong the cycle.

By the way nice setup you got there. Oceanic does make some nice furniture for there aquariums. :D

We just tested the nitrites and they are at .7

The ammonia is still at .3

Any suggestions folks, or just leave well enough be?

Leave it alone. Your cycle has started and since you have some semi cured LR it might go quicker than you think. Dont add anything except LR if you get it till Ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Then Do a 40-50% PWC. and test again. If everything looks good, you should be able to add slowly. I agree that with the added LR and skimmer you should not need the bio wheel. It will just add nitrates to the tank. If you want to remove the wheels and run for filter but you really dont need it. I ran my tank for many years with only LR and skimmer. One last warning IME the powder Blue is an ick magnet. Make sure all parameters are perfect before you add him. I enjoyed the pics. Your on your way Mike and Theresa. Good Luck.

Tonight's test results (No changes made to tank):

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: .1
Nitrites: .8
Alkalinity: 3.5 mEq/L
Nitrates: 0

Should we remove the bio-wheels now, or wait until the cycle completes?

If it were me I would remove the bio-wheels now and let the LR cultivate the bacteria if you have 1.5-2 lbs. per gallon.

Just realize it may set the cycle back a little but if you are going to remove it you should do it now to save headache later IMO.

As Mel stated the bio-wheel will aid in rising nitrates and if you ever decide you want corals it will be even more of a challenge.

Bio wheels have been removed. :)

...we went to the GA Aquarium today. Neat in that we kind of get to check out some fish species, bad in that we're now dying to have fish in the tank. So it goes. Patience is a virtue and whatnot.

About the Powder Blue Tang -- is there any pre-treatment for ich we can do on him, or should we forego that kind of tang altogether?

I would hold off until the tank is established and you have some experience. They are more prone to ich for sure.

Mike469 said:
I would hold off until the tank is established and you have some experience. They are more prone to ich for sure.

Okie dokie. Figured it would be the last fish added anyway. Which would put us some months' off to begin with.

Are there any good "Tang-only" books/research out there?

Today's tests. (We only did these two, don't see a reason to waste supplies unless you guys think more data is needed):

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: .8

That's the start of a good cycle right?

Once nitrites bottom out, we do a PWC, restest and can start adding some stock, correct?

More data is needed for sure.

At the very min. you should test for amonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH for a FOWLR.

For a reef I also test for test calcium, alkaline, and phospahtes. Phosphates are a good idea for any tank as well. High levels can lead to algae problems from overfeeding and tap water to name a few.

Mike469 said:
More data is needed for sure.

At the very min. you should test for amonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH for a FOWLR.

In the long term I understand this, but do I need to test all of these on a daily basis just while doing the cycle?

parameters

Well kind of. You at least want to add on PH to make sure it is stable.

As far as Nitrates they are usually high at the end of a cycle when you would do a 50% PWC.

If your are staying with FOWLR at least test PH with the rest. It is important to keep it stable.

I hardly ever test amonia and nitrite now but it is very important in the beggining.

Ok, I'll run the full load of tests tonight and will post results.

Thanks again for all of your help, we're trying very hard to do this right the first time and not deal with dead fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom