Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Dremel Question re: Cutting Coral

I got a dremel today...a cordless one with mad attachments on it. As a side note...it's hard buying hardware stuff when you have no idea what you are looking for, my dad shoulda went with me. Oh well, I got a employee to point me in the right direction.

Anyways, just a quick question for you guys. I searched for about 20 minutes and all I could find was blades to cut glass, fiberglass, etc. "heavy duty", but none to cut rock. The guy kinda looked at me funny when I told him that. So...will those ones that cut glass work? There are multiple of them in the box...so if it dulls I'll be okay.

Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to a dremel.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dremel tools can be outfitted with either metal bits or abrasive bits. The abrasive bits will often look like disks made out of a hard fibrous materials. Many of the cutting abrasive bits are disk shaped and are fairly thin.

Most dremel tools will come with the abrasive bits. These are the ones that will wear down (fairly quickly if you are cutting something hard). As they wear down, they release dust (from what you are cutting and the disintegration of the bit).

Metal bits do not disintigrate.

If you are cutting something hard (like coral or live rock), I would suggest that any bit that is designed to cut metal or hard plastic will suffice. If you are concerned by the contamination of a coral by the disintegration of an abrasive bit, then I would choose a metal bit.

I have personally never tried this on corals; however, I have used dremel tools fairly extensively at work.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I prefer using diamond wheels because they are long lasting, cut through coral and lr, and I have yet to break one. Dremel has the item listed as: 545 Diamond Wheel

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachme...=66363&I=66364
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
That's cool, thanks guys! I think I might try the abrasive bits and see how they do, after the battery charges up some more. If it doesn't work, I'll try for the diamond wheel tommorow.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The basic cut off wheels are junk and will break with anything real hard. I like the reinforced cutoff wheels. Dremel makes one now that has a quick release for easy wheel changing. The diamond ones will be better though.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com