Dremel Question re: Cutting Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a dremel today...a cordless one with mad attachments on it. As a side note...it's hard buying hardware stuff when you have no idea what you are looking for, my dad shoulda went with me. Oh well, I got a employee to point me in the right direction.

Anyways, just a quick question for you guys. I searched for about 20 minutes and all I could find was blades to cut glass, fiberglass, etc. "heavy duty", but none to cut rock. The guy kinda looked at me funny when I told him that. So...will those ones that cut glass work? There are multiple of them in the box...so if it dulls I'll be okay.

Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to a dremel. :)

Dremel tools can be outfitted with either metal bits or abrasive bits. The abrasive bits will often look like disks made out of a hard fibrous materials. Many of the cutting abrasive bits are disk shaped and are fairly thin.

Most dremel tools will come with the abrasive bits. These are the ones that will wear down (fairly quickly if you are cutting something hard). As they wear down, they release dust (from what you are cutting and the disintegration of the bit).

Metal bits do not disintigrate.

If you are cutting something hard (like coral or live rock), I would suggest that any bit that is designed to cut metal or hard plastic will suffice. If you are concerned by the contamination of a coral by the disintegration of an abrasive bit, then I would choose a metal bit.

I have personally never tried this on corals; however, I have used dremel tools fairly extensively at work.

That's cool, thanks guys! I think I might try the abrasive bits and see how they do, after the battery charges up some more. If it doesn't work, I'll try for the diamond wheel tommorow.

The basic cut off wheels are junk and will break with anything real hard. I like the reinforced cutoff wheels. Dremel makes one now that has a quick release for easy wheel changing. The diamond ones will be better though.

Back
Top Bottom