Drill through the back or Internal Overflows???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking at getting a new tank and I am interest to find out if people think it is better to have the bottom of the tank drilled and internal overflow boxes installed, or simply drill holes throught the back near the top for outflow and return. Any advice or ideas are very welcome.

Just to give you a better idea of what I want : a 60" wide by 24" deep by 25" tall tank. I am considering having 2 internal overflows installed with the holes in the bottom of the tank, or a mor simple design with the wholes at about 1.5" from the top with a 1.5" outflow and a 1.25" return.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dont rule out the option of drill thru the back and internal overflow. Just cause the hole comes out the back of the tank does not mean you cant have a little internal overflow. If you simply put holes inthe back and then install a strainer on the holes then the wtaer level will be at that point. If you afix a small overflow box inside the tank then your water level can be above the hole and sill have the same benifits of the hole in the back.

Also note many tanks that size will have a tempered bottom making them imposible to drill after the fact.

I have both my tanks drilled in the back upper corners. I also have a nipple and elbow in the bulk head fitting with the filter on the end of the elbow pointed up. No need for a box in the tank. This alows the water level to be above the hole so you can have it up above the plastic support so you dont see the water level when looking at the tank.
Like the others said most tank are tempered bottoms. You can buy them predrilled in the bottom...
I have a 125 reef and 55 fowlr and this set up works great.

If it a hagen you are getting then they aren't tempered. At least that's what they told me when I e-mailed them about my tank

I have both my tanks drilled in the back upper corners. I also have a nipple and elbow in the bulk head fitting with the filter on the end of the elbow pointed up. No need for a box in the tank. This alows the water level to be above the hole so you can have it up above the plastic support so you dont see the water level when looking at the tank.

id go this route do to its easier lol :)

Well Keith, I somewhat blame you for the tank switch. If you had not helped me get the sand from Chicago to Dallas I would bot be making this change. I am telling my wife it is all your fault!

Actuallly, she tracked me down in Mexico, New Orleans, and the Virgin Islands, so I would not feel too safe! She may only be 5 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds, but after 7 years of marriage I have learned that fear is much stronger than love, especially when it is couple with a couple million in life insurance. However, she loves the tank too and only needs to pretend to resist. We both think of it like our children, cute when small but inevitably they have to grow up to be big! 0X

Back
Top Bottom