Drilled 40 breeder... Need help with setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently have a 40 breeder, not drilled, with HOB skimmer, and all essentials... To the point - going to buy a new 40 breeder and drill it. I need some advice on what size holes/bulkheads and if I should drill 1 hole for the drain and do an up and over for the return or drill a second hole and use locline for a return. Would like to push around 500 gosh through the sump, which will be an eshoppes s75, 2 chamber for a skimmer and return. I am not concerned with a fuge in the sump at this point. Thanks for any help!

I just drilled a 40 breeder a few months ago. I used a kit from glass-holes.com and was very happy with it. It comes with the drill bit, bulk head and everything else you need. I also got a return kit from them that has everything you need. It was very easy and I highly recommend their complete kit. Good luck

Up and over for the return. No sense in another hole if you don't need it. It's just another possible leak point. Plus, it will back siphon if you lose power. The over the top return can have a drill hole in it just below the water line to stop the siphon in the power outage scenario.
As for the size hole, You can use a 1" bulkhead, but I like to oversize just in case. I would go with a 1.5".

The only time I would drill for the return is if I was setting up a rimless tank.

Reactions: HN1
Yea I was checking that website out earlier... Thanks!

X- should I do a 1.5" hole with a 1" bulkhead? Is that what you meant?

a 1 and 3/4" bit is needed for a 1" bulkhead.
2 and 3/8" bit for a 1.5" bulkhead. I meant I like to oversize the bulkhead.

a 1 and 3/4" bit is needed for a 1" bulkhead.
2 and 3/8" bit for a 1.5" bulkhead. I meant I like to oversize the bulkhead.

Ok thanks. Have you ever drilled a tank yourself? Some YouTube videos make it seem like it takes 2-3 mins others 25-30 mins... I know glass thickness is a variable, but a 40 breeder isn't all that thick how long should I expect do you think?

Yes I have. It's very easy. You just need to let the drill do the work and do not push. The weight of the cordless is plenty. 3 minutes maybe...

Ok cool... Did you make a reservoir with plumbers putty or just keep on spraying the bit with water?

I make a reservoir with putty. Be sure to put a towel or something in the bottom of the tank so when you go through, the hole you made doesn't fall and crack the pane below.

The sump I'm looking at (Eshopps RS100) has a 1" bulkhead for the inlet pipe... Can I plumb from a 1 1/2" bulkhead drain line to a 1" bulkhead inlet pipe in the sump?

Yes, you can reduce the pipe to 1", or you can drill a large hole in the Eshoppes and install a larger bulkhead, or, you can go with a 1" bulkhead for the drain and use all 1" pipe. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, you can reduce the pipe to 1", or you can drill a large hole in the Eshoppes and install a larger bulkhead.

Good call. Probably just going to bypass the bulkhead and run the flex PVC straight through to the bottom of the sump/ filter sock...

Back
Top Bottom