drilled aquarium and filter setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm going to be buying a 115 gallon drilled tank....there are 2 holes in the bottom of the tank, i dont know if this is how they usually are or not, as i've never had a drilled one before. but the guy i'm buying it from has an under gravel filter, and then from one of the drilled holes, he has a fluval 303 filter hooked up, and then on the other hole he has the return from the fluval...it is just coming straight up from the bottom, and i was wondering if this is how it should be. i'll try putting a picutre that i drew of it on here if i can get it to work.
But ya, basically i just want to know if i should make it so the filter return higher than it is, because it is going straight up only about 6 inches from the bottom.
thanks in advance

aaahh...i cant figure out how to put a pic on here, so i'll put a link to it.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/?action=view&current=tank.jpg

anyone? i'd like to know as soon as possible so the guy doesnt sell the tank to someone else

So this is a drilled tank without an overflow box?
A reef ready tank normally has 1 or 2 sets of holes (drain/return) inside of a compartment (the overflow box). You can see the AGA setup here

This sounds like he drilled the tank himself. You will want to create some type of overflow compartment.

Is one hole larger than the other? That would be the drain. The return would be slightly smaller.

Do you have a sump?

The overflow/return holes would best be utilized for that. The UGF is just a disaster waiting to happen over the long term. I would not recommend a canister filter in this fashion either, flow would be far too slow. Where on the bottom pane are the holes located and is their anykind of weir preventing things from being sucked into the overflow?

Cheers
Steve

It is drilled...there was no overflow box tho...should there be one? i didnt really notice where the holes were drilled but i know the return one was kinda in the middle of the tank.
He just had the canister hooked up to the drilled holes.

no i do not have a sump, but i've been thinking about puting one on it...how big would it have to be, and how would i go about settin it up? And no, i would not be using the undergravel plate i dont think...
But does it matter if stuff is covering the drilled holes? I didnt see if there was weir (not sure what that is..) or anything to stop stuff going in it, unless thats what he had the UG thing for.
this tank would be for fish only, and later i would get some liverock, but not for a while...

i've also just thought of something...since the tank is an octagon, and the holes are drilled in the center (i think), do they make octagon overflows that i could put on there and have it overflow in the middle instead of the corner or somethin? and how would i go about putting that on there? does it just sit in the tank or do i have to silicone it on or somethin?

srry this is long, i was trying to answer everyones questions
thanks

Back
Top Bottom