Drilled sump is LOUD!! How to fix??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigreddastud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 13G glass sump that's drilled. I have a Little Giant pump who's housing intake connects directly to the bulkhead.

The pump motor is essentially silent, but the tank seems to make a very persistent "hum/buzz". It sounds like the pump's noise is amplified by the glass tank which in effect becomes a sounding box for the noise.

It's hard to distinguish whether the sound comes out of the pump intake or is produced by the slight vibration of the pump because of the very solid connection to the glass tank via the bulk head.

Would putting a section of rubber tubing between the pump intake and the bulkhead absorb the vibrations, or will they still be equally as loud?

Other suggestions on how to quiet the beast?

TIA

Would putting a section of rubber tubing between the pump intake and the bulkhead absorb the vibrations, or will they still be equally as loud?

I would try this as I really don't have any other ideas on how to silence the noise. If you hold the sump with your hands, does this reduce then noise? Just wondering if the sump is vibrating and giving off noise in the process. If so, I wonder if placing a folded towel or other noise dampening item under the sump would reduce the noise.

Sorry I can't be of more help... :cry:

No, the pump/motor doesn't really vibrate to the touch per se, but it is more of the nominal spining "whir" that the pump's impeller makes as it spins. It's very slight, but the tank just amplifies it so much that it becomes a problem.

It's not even so much of a vibration other than it is sound waves given off by the pump.

Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom