Drilling an already set up tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this possible? Obviously not full with water. But could I drain it to the sand, keep fish and rocks in buckets, drill, plumb, reassemble, refill, and voila? Has anyone done this after having set up their tank?

Since a source of running water is needed to keep things cooled down I would hesitate to do it. You don't want to wash that glass dust into the aquarium

Some others might offer some insight on it but thats my personal thought.

40 breeder. Def not taking a chance of a hob overflow... I'll just buy a new tank at dollar per gallon sale at petco before I do a hob.

You should make a circular wall of plumbers putty around the place you are going to drill and fill this with water. You can't do this drilling from the side. I fear the glass would overheat and crack. If you could turn the tank on it's side while it's empty, you could do it.

You should make a circular wall of plumbers putty around the place you are going to drill and fill this with water. You can't do this drilling from the side. I fear the glass would overheat and crack. If you could turn the tank on it's side while it's empty, you could do it.

If I put all the sand in a bucket, would I need to rinse it before putting it back in the tank? It's only a couple months old...

It depends how dirty it is. BTW, go to glass holes.com and check out their videos on drilling tanks.

Yea I checked that out. My LFS only charges $30/ hole, and I'm only looking for 1 hole, so it might just be worth it to have them do it... Don't even think this is going to happen as I will basically have to start over with the tank.

ive done what your about to do..... you would more than likely have to completely empty the tank. while your drilling, little chips of glass can go into the tank and normally you have to have some water running over the hole while drilling and doubt you would want water going all over the place in your house while drilling. you could get away with doing it still but you just need to get yourself prepared for the water over the hole while drilling and the little chips of glass...... if you can work out a way to stop these 2 things going everywhere then you should be right

Back
Top Bottom