Drilling tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are some videos on YouTube. You need a diamond tip hole saw. Most people make a dam around where you are drilling to hold water. Then just go slow.

Personally I have not done this, it was just what I saw from te videos

I just drilled a tank for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was super easy. I was extremely nervous but not hard at all. I got the complete overflow kit from glass-holes.com and it comes with everything you need including the diamond bit and bulkheads. Just go slow and keep the bit well lubricated.

I'm still very new to the salty side so probably not the best person to answer this. For duel overflows I would think two of the 700 gph would be good but def get a second opinion. Good luck

Do yourself a favor and go with corner overflows. I bought my 125 with dual rear overflows and they are the biggest eyesore in my tank. Next tank will be corner overflows or custom drilled

I found someone in my reef club that has a lot of experience drilling tanks

Then definitely make use of their experience..... Drilling thinner glass tanks like 29's or 55's is pretty easy, but when you start talking 1/2" glass, things can get a bit hairy. If you do decide to do it yourself, I highly recommend a drill guide to keep the bit straight. I very recently drilled a tank with 3/8" glass by hand and the bit got slightly crooked on me without realizing it...... :facepalm:
If it goes too crooked, the bulkhead won't sit straight, meaning no seal & ruined tank. You'd have to try & drill around it with a larger bit....... hoping you left yourself enough clearance from the edge for a larger flanged bulkhead.

Luckily, I got away with a Mulligan on this one......:whistle:

Attachments

• Glass plug.jpg
    Glass plug.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom