Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
The bit about the airstone lowering pH makes no sense to me, but I wouldn't use one simply because it's not needed and could end up stressing the fish out anyway.

I do the same procedure you listed but don't add AmQuel. I would strongly recommend not adding anything.

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #12
I would also add that when floating the bag, be sure it is done so unopened. This allows the pH to come up and equalize at the same time as the temp. If the bag is opened too soon the subsequent pH rise will shock the fish. IMO, that is one of the more common causes of death in new fish....

Once floated for the 15ish min, it will then be much safer to open and continue acclimation to the water parameters of the QT.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Dark tank is a great idea. floating for 15 min is fine
IMO proper Drip method is add fish to small bucket, check SG of water from LFS then check your SG. Now if they are the same then drip for at least 1 hour then release. If they are not the same drip 1 hour check SG of bucket if not the same as tank dump some water out and continue drip for 30 min check again if the same I drip for another 30 then release. You need to check SG of the water to make the drip method successful other wise it is just like adding to water in floating bag. I cover the bucket with a towel keeping the fish dark. i sometimes put a heating pad under the bucket to help keep the temp up.
Some LFS have a low SG around .019, .015. Me reef is .025 so i need to drip my new fish for around 3 hours to get a proper acclimation. I have been very very successful using this method and the guys in my Reef club all use the same method with great success.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Here is what I have decided to do.... feel free to comment: float bag in tank for 15 min, drip acclimate fish for about an hour, adding AmQuel into the LFS water. Net fish and put it into tank.
Depending on how long the fish has been in the bag...the amquel is not necessary. For 1 hour to be long enough the drip needs to be pretty fast, although it should be alright, for most species, some species of inverts and some delicate fish will require very lengthy acclimations.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

acclimation, drip, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com