Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Drip acclimation method, Netting harmful to fish?

Ready for a new fish in my 125 Gal FOLR aquarium. I have read about the drip method of acclimation and am thinking of giving it a shot. Once the acclimation has been completed, is it harmful to the fish to net it and put it into the tank? Is there a better way to get the fish from the bucket to it's new home?

If I take the time and effort to drip acclimate, I want to ensure the fish is transported to it's new home in the best way possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Old 10-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I think you have to weigh your options here and choose what is the least harmful to the fish and the tank. The least stressful method of transferring the fish is to cath it in a cup and tansfer it in water, but then to release the fish, you have to add that water to your system. The netting and transfer out of water is stressful, and depending on the thrashing of the fish...is potentially damaging to the slime coat and skin/scales of the fish. If your adding the a Q-tank (recommended) either method is probably OK, if adding directly to the display aquarium (not recommended) then I would opt for netting, it may damage the fish slightly, but the immediate danger is only to the one specimen (although that could endanger the other inhabitants in time) where as adding the LFS water into your display may endanger the entire tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't use a bucket to drip acclimate but instead a small 2.5g tank. This makes it much easier to net the fish, thus less stressful. It also helps to have the lights out for a while when adding the fish to its new home.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definitely go with the net for the reasons RR mentioned, and also incase the LFS water has copper in it.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info!

Would it be possible to use a small container with holes in the bottom to scoop out the fish after acclimation, then once the water drains, place the fish into aquarium? Just thinking of ways to avoid the net.

Jim
Old 10-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it would make much difference than the net, and the additional time might be bad.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a small plastic strainer, IMO better then a net and it only takes seconds to drain the water so there is no problem. I would never add a LFS water to my tank unless necessary for certain species of fish that can not be exposed to air. Net method has also worked for years...... How do the LFS get the fish into the bag in the first place. Very few use the plastic collector.
Drip acclimation IMO is the BEST way to acclimate fish

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the great advice!

One final thought, I just picked up a small airpump and airstone to use during the acclimation period. Should I run it the entire time of the acclimation period?

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 10-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
One final thought, I just picked up a small airpump and airstone to use during the acclimation period. Should I run it the entire time of the acclimation period?
You can run the air pump the entire time.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I have been researching this topic all day and there are tons of info about acclimation techniques out there, and most of them contradict each other!

I have read to use and NOT ever to use an airstone to acclimate because it lowers pH. I have also read that the drip method is not the best way, others say it is.

Here is what I have decided to do.... feel free to comment: float bag in tank for 15 min, drip acclimate fish for about an hour, adding AmQuel into the LFS water. Net fish and put it into tank.

* I'm also a big fan of putting the fish in with the lights out in the tank and keeping the area dark during acclimation.

Jim

Tags
acclimation, drip, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com