Drip aclimate new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased 2 clowns a bi color dottyback and 2 crabs and 2 snails they are the first fish in the tank I floated the bags 4 a wile then added the bags to a empty bucket with a nice steady drip for 3 hours when I put fish in the tank the bucket of water that was acclimating was much colder than tank was 3 hours two long ?? hope fish are not shocked !!! What should I do different next set of fish I buy ?? I must have done something wrong

Next time go slower with adding the fish add one fish at a time spaced about a week or two apart so the bacteria has a chance to catch up. I hope it doesn't throw your tank into another cycle. I float the bag in the sump for about 20 minutes and test the SG if it is off then I drip acclimate slowly. I usually have a container that I put in a bucket and drip it in that way so all I have to do is remove some of the water from the bag until I have replaced all the water. I have one of those little cheap paddle heaters that I can use if the water is a lot cooler. If the water sg is a big difference then an hour or even 2 to make up the difference is ok. But I usually do it for about 30 minutes just so I can make sure all the lfs water is out of the bag before I release the fish.

I figured I could have added even more fish than I did I was dosing a full cup of ammonia a day to 5ppm and 12 hours latter I was at 0ppm the fish are all a inch long can't see them putting a dent in my water quality in a 100 gallon tank ! My lfs said to try to get all my fish at the same time because it puts less stress on them so there is no bullying on the new fish !! He guarantees fish for 20 days !! I just did not like the drip method that they say to acclimate by the water cools off to much thanks for your help !! Could I add more invertebrates at a time or keep to a min like fish. Because the clean up crew packs have over 100 inverts in them

I admit, I probably don't do things the "Recommended" way. I just float my bag in the tank for 15 minutes to equalize temperature and then add half a cup of tank water every 10 minutes for an hour. Then I let em fly.

Never had a "shock" issue yet - but then again, I also use the LFS's water to do my water changes, so my water is probably extremely similar to his on all parameters.

I also echo joy's statement of not adding so much at once. I have a 72G tank, and in the last 6 weeks or so have added 3 fish totalling about 5 inches of fish. Never saw any increase in any of the params. I acknowledge that is a ridiculously slow rate and that I'm likely overcautious, but fish are the one thing I've never really had a hard time acclimating/keeping :)

Cheers,

Well thats a possible problem that i could have ran into awhile back. I drip acclimated some shrimp for about three hours and a cleaner shrimp didnt make it till the next day, lfs guy said hour to hour and half enough cause water temp can drop couple degrees in that time,ive seen him acclimating his livestock and he drips faster than i thought you should.he said you want to double the water you start with, just what ive been told

Back
Top Bottom