Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just throw the cheapos in the tank such as snails and hermits. The hermits scurry off, and the snails just sit there for a day and then leave. Everyone stays alive. I bet your snails are playing dead. Ive noticed my old timers will sometimes stop and sit for a day or two and then start climbing the sides again. Maybe they need to sleep every now and then too.

Matt

Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

alright

Ive left them all in overnight and the Nassarius snails have come out of there shell and are soft but not moving. Same with some of the Astrea snails.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #13

:(

They all died for some reason. Ill try your guy's advice next time i get some new snails.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Might be the source of your snails. Where are you getting them from?

Snails need acclimation time to adjust to changes in salinity and temperature. Dr Ron's advice is, "Remove them from the bag. Let them dry out in a cup or bowl for about 15 minutes. Then take them one by one, and place them in the tank at the water line with the aperture next to the wall. The animals will extend, fasten to the wall and move into the water of their own accord. In effect, they will self-acclimate."

I dump the bag into a 5 gallon bucket without temp acclimation. I tip the bucket against the tank stand so that the bottom is not completely coverd with water. Those snails want to crawl above the water do so. I then start a slow (1-2 drops per second) into the bucket. In about an hour it's easy to pick the ones that are moving about and place them in the tank. The other will stay for another hour to see if they are playing dead. At the end of the second hour they all go in the tank. The dead ones are just more food.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #15

source

Both batches of snails were bought from different fish stores with the same results. Ive tested my water twice after both times and it seems to be ok.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

have you ever used copper medications? You can test for copper or have your LFS test for it. I hear that its not good for inverts.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #17

I finally found out the reason my inverts were dying. I was using a digital refractometer and read that they need constant calibration. I hadnt calibrated mine since i got it about a year ago. I didnt have any calibration fluid so i just went with what it said. I just got my manual refractometer and got the calibration fluid with it. I calibrated it and tested it on my water. It was at almost 50 ppm and thats about 1.048. I had also bought a copper test and it came out negative. I tried the testing fluid on my digital refractometer and it was waaaay out of wack. I put in all the freshwater i had and ill be getting some more tomarrow. What a relief.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #18
is back to save the day!

Jeeze.. your inverts must have been burning up in there. 1.048 is crazy. Glad you found the problem and are trying to fix it. Hopefully no more inverts die.

Tags
drip, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com