Drip method failing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rikkis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, ive recently tried to switch to the drip type acclimation to introduce new livestock into my tank. I Bought 2 turbo snails the other day and had a constant drip of water going into my bucket from my tank for about 30 mins. I came to check on them and they were dead. The temperature was a bit low but that was about it. I tried another couple of snails today and the same thing happened. The temperature and salinity seemed ok but they still died. Any help?

I usually drip for 1-2 hours if acclimating a locally bought fish. Snails (honesty here), I temp match and plop n drop.

What was your SG & the LFSs? Is your tank cycled?

Hey

My tank has been up for about a year and already has 3 fish in it. 2 of which have been in there for about 3 years(moved last year). I used the cup method with all 3.

How are you doing the drip? Is it a steady flow or is it about 2-3 drops a second? Drip acclimation is supposed to be slow so if our dripping water in there fast, your livestock my be getting ph shock. Also, do you float the bag they are in before you start?

yeah

yeah i float it on top for about 30 mins than i do a slow drip. But even when i check on them 30 mins later there dead.

Sounds like your doing everything right. When you say they were dead, did you try putting them in the display and they didn't move for a day? Sometimes things can appear dead, even fish, while acclimating but once they are in the display, they come around after a little bit.

Also, you said your parameters are ok, could you post some numbers (amm, nitrite,nitrate,SG)? It may lead to an AHA! moment and we can figure out the issue.

Sounds like your doing everything right. When you say they were dead, did you try putting them in the display and they didn't move for a day? Sometimes things can appear dead, ...

I was thinking along this line also. Even if you plopped them in your tank with no acclimation, and a huge difference in water parameters, they wouldn't be dead in 30 minutes.

Do you have a sump? i leave mine in the bag but put the bag in the sump and clothes pin the top of the bag to the edge of the sump so the temp stays constant and then drip into the bag. And sometimes it takes a day or two for snails to start moving around much.

I drip via a steady stream, but depending on the invert and both salinities I may adjust to slightly slower drip or just extend the time-frame. I haven't had any problems dripping even sea stars with a steady stream. 10mins of temp acclimation (no lights) is plenty. Could be just rotten luck ;)

steady stream to a steady drip depending on the fish, some are heartier then others. My discus and rams get a steady drip, 30 min float then into a 5g bucket for 3 or so hours

I just throw the cheapos in the tank such as snails and hermits. The hermits scurry off, and the snails just sit there for a day and then leave. Everyone stays alive. I bet your snails are playing dead. Ive noticed my old timers will sometimes stop and sit for a day or two and then start climbing the sides again. Maybe they need to sleep every now and then too.

Matt

alright

Ive left them all in overnight and the Nassarius snails have come out of there shell and are soft but not moving. Same with some of the Astrea snails.

:(

They all died for some reason. Ill try your guy's advice next time i get some new snails.

Might be the source of your snails. Where are you getting them from?

Snails need acclimation time to adjust to changes in salinity and temperature. Dr Ron's advice is, "Remove them from the bag. Let them dry out in a cup or bowl for about 15 minutes. Then take them one by one, and place them in the tank at the water line with the aperture next to the wall. The animals will extend, fasten to the wall and move into the water of their own accord. In effect, they will self-acclimate."

I dump the bag into a 5 gallon bucket without temp acclimation. I tip the bucket against the tank stand so that the bottom is not completely coverd with water. Those snails want to crawl above the water do so. I then start a slow (1-2 drops per second) into the bucket. In about an hour it's easy to pick the ones that are moving about and place them in the tank. The other will stay for another hour to see if they are playing dead. At the end of the second hour they all go in the tank. The dead ones are just more food.

source

Both batches of snails were bought from different fish stores with the same results. Ive tested my water twice after both times and it seems to be ok.

have you ever used copper medications? You can test for copper or have your LFS test for it. I hear that its not good for inverts.

I finally found out the reason my inverts were dying. I was using a digital refractometer and read that they need constant calibration. I hadnt calibrated mine since i got it about a year ago. I didnt have any calibration fluid so i just went with what it said. I just got my manual refractometer and got the calibration fluid with it. I calibrated it and tested it on my water. It was at almost 50 ppm and thats about 1.048. I had also bought a copper test and it came out negative. I tried the testing fluid on my digital refractometer and it was waaaay out of wack. I put in all the freshwater i had and ill be getting some more tomarrow. What a relief.

Jeeze.. your inverts must have been burning up in there. 1.048 is crazy. Glad you found the problem and are trying to fix it. Hopefully no more inverts die. :)

Back
Top Bottom