Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Drip method failing

Hey guys, ive recently tried to switch to the drip type acclimation to introduce new livestock into my tank. I Bought 2 turbo snails the other day and had a constant drip of water going into my bucket from my tank for about 30 mins. I came to check on them and they were dead. The temperature was a bit low but that was about it. I tried another couple of snails today and the same thing happened. The temperature and salinity seemed ok but they still died. Any help?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually drip for 1-2 hours if acclimating a locally bought fish. Snails (honesty here), I temp match and plop n drop.

What was your SG & the LFSs? Is your tank cycled?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #3

Hey

My tank has been up for about a year and already has 3 fish in it. 2 of which have been in there for about 3 years(moved last year). I used the cup method with all 3.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How are you doing the drip? Is it a steady flow or is it about 2-3 drops a second? Drip acclimation is supposed to be slow so if our dripping water in there fast, your livestock my be getting ph shock. Also, do you float the bag they are in before you start?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #5

yeah

yeah i float it on top for about 30 mins than i do a slow drip. But even when i check on them 30 mins later there dead.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like your doing everything right. When you say they were dead, did you try putting them in the display and they didn't move for a day? Sometimes things can appear dead, even fish, while acclimating but once they are in the display, they come around after a little bit.

Also, you said your parameters are ok, could you post some numbers (amm, nitrite,nitrate,SG)? It may lead to an AHA! moment and we can figure out the issue.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
Sounds like your doing everything right. When you say they were dead, did you try putting them in the display and they didn't move for a day? Sometimes things can appear dead, ...
I was thinking along this line also. Even if you plopped them in your tank with no acclimation, and a huge difference in water parameters, they wouldn't be dead in 30 minutes.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a sump? i leave mine in the bag but put the bag in the sump and clothes pin the top of the bag to the edge of the sump so the temp stays constant and then drip into the bag. And sometimes it takes a day or two for snails to start moving around much.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I drip via a steady stream, but depending on the invert and both salinities I may adjust to slightly slower drip or just extend the time-frame. I haven't had any problems dripping even sea stars with a steady stream. 10mins of temp acclimation (no lights) is plenty. Could be just rotten luck
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

steady stream to a steady drip depending on the fish, some are heartier then others. My discus and rams get a steady drip, 30 min float then into a 5g bucket for 3 or so hours

Tags
drip, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com