"Drip" syphon used for Auto top off, thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been researching an auto top off for my sump and was wondering if this would work:

Setup a basic 5 Gal container of water beside the sump and start a syphon with a small air line containing a knot (similar to a drip acclimation) running into the sump. Let the water drip into the sump at the appropriate level.

I do not plan on being gone for any length of time and have a lot of room for error in my sump. So I think this may work. Can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't or would like to caution me from doing this for any reason?

Thanks in advance,
Jim.

This is a good low budget way of doing an autotop off but there might be problems in getting the drip rate correct to keep water levels form getting to low or getting to high in the sump.

What I would suggest would be getting a cheap float valve that you can put in the sump and adjust it so the float lowers and opens a valve and alows water to flow in till the water level rases the float and closes the valve. This is exactly what I use and it works great.

Great advice fishfreek! Can you explain a little more in detail how your set up is? Also what kind, and where can you get the float switch? Thanks! :wink:

My float switch came with the tank. I purchased the whole setup used. I belive the person I got the setup from mentioned it was a float switch that they sell at farm supply stores to keep cattle trouhs full. Its real simple just a plastic housing with a big foam block in the middle to act as the float and a little rubber gasket that when the float is up closes off the hose outlet.

Another not so attractive float switch is the toilet float at hardware stores or you can get a smaller more attractive float from someplace like www.marinedepot.com

I use the Ultralife float switch that connects to a small powerhead in an adjacent container with top-off water. As the sump water evaporates, the float switch energizes the powerhead via a relay. Works well. I dont have space in my sump to rig a valve float. HTH

I use one similar to one at floatswitches.net. I have it wired into a extension cord. When I bought it on ebay, it was said to be safe doing this as long as the pump met the specs of the switch.

I would be interested to know more about the relay set up though. This would be safer. I have used relays before but on different appilcations. Are you using a smaller power source with the relay?

The Ultralife switch comes with the switch and relay. Nothing I had to do. If you run two in series, you can even protect from a run-dry situation (using one normally open and the other normally closed) fo the top off, or use it to protect the MP. Set-up comes with a suction cup so you position it inside the sump at the level you need. I actually used a silicone sealant to seal all of the wire openings on the switch because I use the 'feed switch' on my Red Sea wavemaker which shuts off the MP for about 30 mins to allow for feeding of a reef tank, so the water level in the sump then rises above the level of the switch. So far no problems, works great. no more back siphon issues to deal with either. :)

Back
Top Bottom