Dropped flake food in tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I have this absolute demon-spawn-of-a-damsel. This little piece of hatred molests my other fish and picks at my coral. I tried to capture the little hellion with a net (to no success), but in the process I tipped over about a third of my 10 oz bottle of flake food into the tank! It was like a buffet in Vegas. While the fish loved it, I started freaking out. The water cleared in about 10 minutes, but my question is: will this cause my levels to change? Do I feed my fish for the next couple days? Should I be concerned? I have a few new fish coming in on Friday and I hope this does not affect them... Please advise.

Is there any more flake food present in the tank? If so siphon it out. Do water changes each day over the next few days. Do you normally feed daily? You can skip a day if needed.

Doing your PWCs and monitoring your levels will do the trick and keep you from crashing. Good luck!

There is no more food present that I can see... It is a 135g tank, thank god it's not smaller. I won't feed the fish for a couple days. I hope they pick at the remains of the food, if any, from the rocks. How long will it take to detect the effects, if any, with tests?

A 135 is pretty large thankfully. You may not notice much if any changes with pwcs. I'd probably test in the morning for trates and phosphates.

stevedpepper said:
Nitrates and phosphates can occur that fast? Overnight?

With decaying food-definitly. I put in a cube of mysis to cycle my tank and you see readings very quickly

Back
Top Bottom