Dry rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is everyone's thought about using dry rock? Do they leach phosphates ? And would it be good to put live rock with dry rock to cure faster ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When people are concerned about rock leaching phosphates, they will cure them in water until the phosphates are out...if any are detected that is. Live rock with it will not assist with this process.
When you cycle it, live rock can shorten the process but adding one piece won't make a noticeable difference in larger setups.

I used 50 lbs of dry rock in my 40 breeder, and 3 lbs of well established liverock in my sump, in conjunction with a bag of live sand to aid in my fish-in cycle...

I use dry rock now a days. It's easier, cheaper and has the mixed advantage of not having any bad hitch hikers on board. But some folks love the freebies, so live rubble rock is still very popular.

Live rock with coraline algae will also greatly speed the development of Coraline algae on your dry rock. Matter of fact, I'm not sure that you can develop it without it.

Live rock with coraline algae will also greatly speed the development of Coraline algae on your dry rock. Matter of fact, I'm not sure that you can develop it without it.

Doesn't need to be liverock with coraline. Even a snail shell will do it.

Some types of dry rock does leach PO4 Iv'e found the tonga branch is one of those that being said iv'e found the its best to soak any new dry rock in a pail of fresh RO/DI water test the water every 3-5 days you'll know if it's gonna leach if it does i change the water every 5 days until it test 0 then you can add live rock to seed just be sure to feed the new rock it needs an ammonia source.

+1

That's why I would not add any rock to an existing reef without soaking it for a few weeks in a tub.

There were still some decaying organism on my dry rock (sponges and stuff) so I put it in a bucket with a pump for a couple of days

Back
Top Bottom