DSB and LR placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been gradually adding sand to reach a 4" to 5" consistent DSB depth (I had from 1" to 3" previously).

My question is about LR's. I know rock isn't supposed to sit on the sand, for fear sand-shifters or tunnelling might cause the rock to settle or shift, which could kill fish or trap other residents.

But now I've got some rocks that are pretty much completely buried.

I assume that's not only affecting the amount of biological filtration they are capable of, but also affecting the DSB.

Right?

How does everybody with a DSB place rocks?

I do have a LOT of acropora skeleton LR, I'm wondering if I should use those on the bottom as a support system for my more solid LR pieces?

You can use 2 inch pvc to set your rock on top off to hold it off the glass. You can cut it to any height that you need.

You mean to hold it off the sand?

Would you have sand within the PVC itself? Luckily, I happen to have a big piece of 4" PVC, which would be great for this, since a few of my rocks are larger, and balancing them on even several 2" PVC pieces might be unstable.

Is it better to have the rock supported this way, resting on both sand and the PVC, or to have it just off the sand?

I've heard of this, of course, but I've also heard of people sinking the rock down into the sand... for stability. But now I've got so much sand, several pieces are almost completely buried.

I'm just trying to get the most efficiency out of the DSB, plus make the most of my LR.

I would put the pvc on the bottom of the tank and not on top of the sand. No sand in the middle of the pvc would be best as this would create a serious dead spot. I think 4" pvc should work fine if you have really large pieces. HTH?

Back
Top Bottom