Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crank the export back up and I would suggest a detrivore kit over snails alone. The microlife in the sandbed is far more important at keeping things healthy and actually pound for pound turn the bed much more than snails alone digging through it.

While trying to tread around the debate scenario, a DSB is like every other tank. Export and waterflow are still vital the same as bare-bottomed, shallow sandbed, etc. The misnomer was that they were initially thought to be undestructible and people way overfed and didn't pay much attention to the life in the sand. It was only 4 years ago when I set my first up that a national magazine even stated you could not overfeed with a sandbed.....that was the failed misconception, not the sandbed itself.

They have an obvious drawback just like all other systems (ying to the yang I suppose). You get denitrification, but the price is you have to maintain the bed by replacing diversity from time to time.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Skins. I was able to fit a fully modded ASM G3 and a Mag 7 return pump in my 20 gal high sump.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe this is changing the subject and I should start a new thread but just as a quick follow-up - how do I tell if my skimmer is not keeping up with my system? Again, I know it is undersized, but with a deep sand bed and tons of rock displacing water - I was hoping it would be okay. Do I just watching nitrate levels and if they are low, I'm okay? Would I be getting really dark skimate meaning that there is tons of junk to pull out but it just can't get it all? Because my skimate isn't very dark...it's like green tea. And my levels seem okay, but I do religious small water changes so that may be why? Just curious what the warning signs would be.

- Skins
Old 10-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I had a DSB and a skimmer, I would not expect any nitrate levels at all...that would be my firstindicator that I needed to analyze my system (overfeeding, overstocking, under export, etc.).

As for the color of the skimmate, it unfortunately comes down to the efficiency of the skimmer at times. Even in a skanky tank, some models/brands will only pull tea colored skimmate due to various reasons....pump size, air/water contact time, etc. What skimmer do you use?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm using the Remora Pro with Mag(3?) and recently added preskimmer box. It definitely works better with the preskimmer box. I think my nitrates before this cloud storm was due to overfeeding. I was feeding home made blender mush daily, plus nori for my tang daily. I've been doing saltwater for a while, but mostly predator tanks. Always fed my predator tank once every couple-few days, but didn't think it would apply to community tanks. Basically, I don't know how my tank reacts if I'm doing things correctly It may have been my fault - not my skimmer. So, I'll keep an eye on the system now that I've cut back feeding and added the preskimmer.

Is this a schizophrenic thread or what?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

EDIT: nm, missed the whole 2d page of posts
Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
The AquaC remora pro (the mag 3 makes it a pro pretty much) with the pre skimming box is the best HOB setup IMO. A 110gallon tank is going to be its upper limits IMO.. It should be able to do the job if everything else is up to par.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most reef fish (if not all, other than predators) eat many times throughout the day and really should be fed at least daily in our aquariums. If you have a skimmer and a DSB and not wildly overstocked, your tank should be able to handle this pretty well. If not (nuisance algae, etc.) I would analyze the amount you are feeding, etc. as a most likely cause or consider having to jump up to a larger skimmer or large DIY model if you are crafty.

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com