Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TomStav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 550
DSB in fuge a good idea?

I have been reading up on how benificial deep sand beds are if done correctly, I have a 1' x 1' section in my sump that is empty and was wondering if that is enough room to actually benifit the tank by having a DSB.

Its a 72G w/ 30G sump.

I am thinking of doing a 6" sand bed in the refugium with 2" of crushed coral as the base and 4" of aragonite as the middle and surface layers.

is this a g]ood idea or not?

Tom
__________________

__________________
TomStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 55
If your tank is already established you may see a spike in your parameters but I dont see how it would hurt...
__________________

__________________
newreefaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TomStav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by newreefaddict
If your tank is already established you may see a spike in your parameters but I dont see how it would hurt...
It is established, been running for a few years but I just "remodeled" the sump so I have an extra compartment to fill.
__________________
TomStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 371
I don't think you'd see a spike if you're adding dry aragonite sand. I'd probably skip out on the crushed coral. From what I understand you want the anerobic areas that the sand will provide. That's why some people use mud instead of sand. From my understanding, the finer the sand, the more effective the DSB. I may be 100% wrong, and if I am someone feel free to correct me! lol
__________________
tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TomStav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80
I don't think you'd see a spike if you're adding dry aragonite sand. I'd probably skip out on the crushed coral. From what I understand you want the anerobic areas that the sand will provide. That's why some people use mud instead of sand. From my understanding, the finer the sand, the more effective the DSB. I may be 100% wrong, and if I am someone feel free to correct me! lol
I am no expert and you may be right but from what I gathered by having CC at the bottom (below 4+" of fine aragonite) it allows more room for the anaerobic bacteria to survive. Not 100% on this...

I appreciate the input from the both of you!
__________________
TomStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 371
I'm curious as to what the heavyweights say. (paging mr_x.... paging mr_x) lol
__________________
tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would also skip the crushed coral. The bacteria live on surfaces and not as much in the water its self. So having a fine grain will provide more surface area. Advanced aquarist did a study a while back that I believe came to the conculsion that the "miracle mud" was not an improvement over DSBs of other grain sizes. Having a more diverse grain sized sand bed allows for a greater diversity of fauna in the sand bed which is what your aiming for. The largest portion (probably around 75%) should be in the range of sugar sized grains of sand.

You should not experience a spike in your levels if your using dry sand. I would however rinse the sand once or twice before putting it in the tank. This will help to clean out some of the dust so it doesn't cloud your water as much. If there is already water in the sump section people use a large diameter piece of PVC to pour the sand down to the bottom and this seems to help reduce the sand storm a bit as well.

A 1' x 1' section of sand bed is not going to make a black and white huge difference in that sized tank but I think it will help and is worth doing. Especially if you don't have anything better to do with the space. Keep in mind it will take at least a good month and a half before you see and difference in your levels and several months longer for the bed to really become mature and start making a real difference.
__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TomStav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you
I would also skip the crushed coral. The bacteria live on surfaces and not as much in the water its self. So having a fine grain will provide more surface area. Advanced aquarist did a study a while back that I believe came to the conculsion that the "miracle mud" was not an improvement over DSBs of other grain sizes. Having a more diverse grain sized sand bed allows for a greater diversity of fauna in the sand bed which is what your aiming for. The largest portion (probably around 75%) should be in the range of sugar sized grains of sand.

You should not experience a spike in your levels if your using dry sand. I would however rinse the sand once or twice before putting it in the tank. This will help to clean out some of the dust so it doesn't cloud your water as much. If there is already water in the sump section people use a large diameter piece of PVC to pour the sand down to the bottom and this seems to help reduce the sand storm a bit as well.

A 1' x 1' section of sand bed is not going to make a black and white huge difference in that sized tank but I think it will help and is worth doing. Especially if you don't have anything better to do with the space. Keep in mind it will take at least a good month and a half before you see and difference in your levels and several months longer for the bed to really become mature and start making a real difference.
Thanks, I will just use dry aragonite, although it's a small surface area it's got to be better than leaving it empty, is 6" deep enough, I have about 10" at my disposal.
__________________
TomStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
PrettyFishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,689
A DSB is a good idea IMO

No, you should not see a spike in parameters from dry sand....

Yes, CC is okay under fine aragonite. What you MUST do is use a fiberglass screen. Get it from Home Depot. You add the CC, put the screen over it to separate the two layers. Have it come up a little on the sides, like a tray.

CC traps detritus and there will be some critters that dig in the sand and they can get that detritius down there. The screen keeps the layers separated and prevents detritus build up.

I agree that 1x1 is too small to make a major impact, but it will help. Add in some cheato and a hang on light and you've got a nice fuge setup. Avoid any fish or inverts that dig or eat algae. It's a great place for bristleworms
__________________
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TomStav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies
A DSB is a good idea IMO

No, you should not see a spike in parameters from dry sand....

Yes, CC is okay under fine aragonite. What you MUST do is use a fiberglass screen. Get it from Home Depot. You add the CC, put the screen over it to separate the two layers. Have it come up a little on the sides, like a tray.

CC traps detritus and there will be some critters that dig in the sand and they can get that detritius down there. The screen keeps the layers separated and prevents detritus build up.

I agree that 1x1 is too small to make a major impact, but it will help. Add in some cheato and a hang on light and you've got a nice fuge setup. Avoid any fish or inverts that dig or eat algae. It's a great place for bristleworms
Thanks, would window screen material work? Just a thought!
__________________

__________________
TomStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
co2 diffuser on timer. (good idea/bad idea?) kangarooooooooo Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 01-09-2008 11:44 PM
Small HOB fuge, DSB or no? jamal-188 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 02-02-2006 06:50 PM
Sump/Fuge DSB? SkinnyPete General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 01-30-2006 07:01 PM
fuge, DSB and a plenum?????? WarDaddy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 07-13-2005 06:11 PM
DSB in fuge with seagrass...opinions? loganj Saltwater Reef Aquaria 11 03-12-2004 09:57 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.