Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been looking into this one as well. Here's a few things to consider from the Florida EPA site:

"Turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum) is the best known, with its large, ribbon-like leaves that are 4-12 mm wide and 10-35 cm long. Two to five leaves per shoot grow from stout rhizomes that may be found as deep as 25 cm in the sediment."

You might want to consider this when setting up your DSB in your fuge. It sounds like they need a lot of space for roots.

"Sea grasses are extremely efficient at capturing and utilizing nutrients, a major factor in their ability to maintain high productivity in relatively low nutrient environments (Zieman, 1982). They are apparently capable of absorbing nutrients through either their leaves or their roots. Zostera, a sea grass common in somewhat higher latitudes, can take up ammonia and phosphate from the sediments and transport the nutrients to the leaves, where they can be pumped into the surrounding water (McRoy and Barsdate, 1970). If turtle grass has the same capability, it should be of tremendous benefit to epiphytic algae on the sea grass blades, particularly in the nutrient-poor waters associated with coral reefs."

"pumped into the surrounding water ... where they can benefit algae" doesn't sound like what we're after. If this proves to be true, you might want to think a little more about macro's ... even though I have heard several sources (including yourself) talk about how the macro's can suddenly break down. This article does say "If the turtle grass has the same capability", so this may not be the case.

I'm going to keep looking into this one. Let me know if you find anything.

IMPERATORFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You're way ahead of me on the research...I haven't had time to do that yet. This makes me wonder if the fuge should be a combination of grass and a relatively stable macro. I think it's worth investigating. I also want to attempt to get some tests done on sand samples from the DSB in the 180. I contacted a lab today and got some prices...not too bad. I need to get a list together of possible contaminants that should be tested for.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com