Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DSB in Tank and/or Sump

I am setting up a 75 gal and have a 30 long that I was thinking about using as a sump or refugium (sp?) Do I need to have a Deep Sand Bed in the 75 if I have it in the sump? I was planning on putting about 4 1/2 inches of sand in the 75 and then pressing live rock into it. I figure that this will increase the depth of the sand to 5"+ Or can I just put 2 or 3" of sand in the main tank and have a 5" bed in the Sump? What would you recommend?

Old 05-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

a few inches in the main with a DSB in the 30 fuge should be enough. will you have any LR in the tank? if so then i wouldn't worry at all.

Old 05-06-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am planning on adding a mixture of "Live Base Rock" and "Keys Live Rock" from Liverocks.com around the end of the May. About 60#'s total for now. I want to add homemade rock (portland cement and crushed oyster shell) after it is done curing. But that won't be for a couple more months. I was planning on setting the tank up this weekend with just the sand, salt water, powerheads, heater, and a couple of frozen shrimp to get the cycle started.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, the refugium/sump won't be set up and running for a couple of months... I just have to put it inside the stand now.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

sounds like a good plan. If you have the patience, I think i might hold off on the water and shrimp until you've ordered your LR. The LR, if comes in good condition, will have enough bacteria to handle a short cycle for your tank. If it's not in good condition, will generate enough ammonia to feed a cycle. so you may not need to do a shrimp cycle. But it certianly wouldn't hurt either

Tags
dsb, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com