DSB in Tank and/or Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a 75 gal and have a 30 long that I was thinking about using as a sump or refugium (sp?) Do I need to have a Deep Sand Bed in the 75 if I have it in the sump? I was planning on putting about 4 1/2 inches of sand in the 75 and then pressing live rock into it. I figure that this will increase the depth of the sand to 5"+ Or can I just put 2 or 3" of sand in the main tank and have a 5" bed in the Sump? What would you recommend?

a few inches in the main with a DSB in the 30 fuge should be enough. will you have any LR in the tank? if so then i wouldn't worry at all.

I am planning on adding a mixture of "Live Base Rock" and "Keys Live Rock" from Liverocks.com around the end of the May. About 60#'s total for now. I want to add homemade rock (portland cement and crushed oyster shell) after it is done curing. But that won't be for a couple more months. I was planning on setting the tank up this weekend with just the sand, salt water, powerheads, heater, and a couple of frozen shrimp to get the cycle started.

Also, the refugium/sump won't be set up and running for a couple of months... I just have to put it inside the stand now.

sounds like a good plan. If you have the patience, I think i might hold off on the water and shrimp until you've ordered your LR. The LR, if comes in good condition, will have enough bacteria to handle a short cycle for your tank. If it's not in good condition, will generate enough ammonia to feed a cycle. so you may not need to do a shrimp cycle. But it certianly wouldn't hurt either :D

Back
Top Bottom