DSB Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a DSB to help nitrates, now top inch layer has green and red algae and bubbles that can be seen through glass, Is this biological good for aquarium or should i clean it
thanks

any way you can post a pic?? Is the red algae on top of the sand? How old is the tank, how deep is the SB, what size tank.

any way you can post a pic?? Is the red algae on top of the sand? How old is the tank, how deep is the SB, what size tank.
trying to figure out how to post a pic, the red algae is not on top of the sand it is below, i can see it through the glass, I pretty sure it is not cyano because I have fought that before, the tank is about 4 months old, it is 20 gallon and the DSB is 4 inches
thanks

sounds like an algae bloom how are your nitrate and phosphate levels.
I don't have a test for phosphate but I do use RO/DI, my nitrates are somewhere between 5 and 10
thanks

even with ro/di phosphates are put in with food(flake, frozen, plankton mixtures) how are your detritus levels, any cleaners blue or red leg hermits, sally lightfoots,

you might also want to try limiting your lights-- 7 or 8 hours until it clears, that includes sunlight, overhead lights in the room where the tank is housed etc...

are you skimming, running gac, ???

You should stir the top 1/2" of the sandbed if you do not have critters to do it. With a strong flow over the DSB you should not be getting algae unless there is a nutrient issue. If you see bubbles coming up from the lower layers of the sand bed then you are seeing NNR at work. The bubbles will slowly rise to the top and release nitrogen gas into the atmosphere.

even with ro/di phosphates are put in with food(flake, frozen, plankton mixtures) how are your detritus levels, any cleaners blue or red leg hermits, sally lightfoots,

you might also want to try limiting your lights-- 7 or 8 hours until it clears, that includes sunlight, overhead lights in the room where the tank is housed etc...

are you skimming, running gac, ???
I only have one damsel and a red/pink serpent star in the tank and i barely feed them, detritus if you mean stuff found on top of sand is a little high, about a month ago I increase my 4 hermit crab to 14(blue and red legs), original when my brown algae took off i had lots of snails but did not know that high nitrates affected them, so they are gone, am considering more, need reef safe creatures though because I have some coral frags, is 7 or 8 hours enough for corals(polyps and mushrooms), power compact 64watts, the room stays dark and not affect by sunlight
thanks

You should stir the top 1/2" of the sandbed if you do not have critters to do it. With a strong flow over the DSB you should not be getting algae unless there is a nutrient issue. If you see bubbles coming up from the lower layers of the sand bed then you are seeing NNR at work. The bubbles will slowly rise to the top and release nitrogen gas into the atmosphere
Was going to get a sand sifting star but I have heard mixed reviews about stirring up the sand, I have two 100gal/hr powerjets, was thinking about getting another
thanks

are you skimming
yes, it is a cheap air stone skimmer that I got the first month, but it does produce alot of gunk in collection cup, I am going to try and get a good one but I am trying to buy a house right now
thanks

For sand stirrers I would recommend something like Nassarius snails. They move the sand but do not decimate the sandbed like some stars do. If you are getting that much gunk from a cheap skimmer there must be a lot of organics in your water. Are you using tap water for your topoffs and water changes?

If you are getting that much gunk from a cheap skimmer
What I really meant to say was that it was skimming and not just producing nothing, my bad
Are you using tap water for your topoffs and water changes?
No I switch to RO/DI about two months ago, within that time have done top offs and big water changes using it
For sand stirrers I would recommend something like Nassarius snails
I have hermits will they kill them, I read about hermits pulling snail out of there shell(I have mostly blue, a couple red, hermits)
thanks

Back
Top Bottom