DSB Substrate Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone help me with my understanding of what one should use as a substrate for DSB? :? My wife really wants me to try and find a white sand. I have read some of the posts that state that a type of sand from Home Depot is a great choice. Unfortunately, our local Home Depot only has Sakrete Play Sand, not the Southdown. My wife, by the way, really wants me to use a white sand if it is available. I have the option of using sand from the Gulf of Mexico since I am only a few miles away, but my wife wants a whiter sand. Sand from the Gulf has the obvious advantage of coming with critters that could be very beneficial. However, my wife wants a whiter sand. I have seen a white substrate at our lfs, but it might be crushed coral and it is rather expensive as I have a 90 gallon aquarium.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

awillemd1

Any aragonite sand with a grain size that's about the same as sugar will do fine. I think, even if you find a sand that is very white, it's not going to stay that way. As the critters populate the sand and the DSB becomes active, it will darken a little. If Southdown isn't an option for you, check into some of the Carib Sea sands. Also, go to www.purearagonite.com and see what they have to offer. Just make sure you go with a sugar sized sand and make the sandbed at least 4".

so let me get this straight you can use non live sand to build the bed it will just have to become populated ? If so I would assume getting say most regular sand and then some live sand to start it would be alot cheaper

Yes, you can use "dead" sand for most of the sand bed. Aragonite sand is preferable. Top it off with some live sand. Get a cup of sand from as many established reef tanks as you can...that will increase the biodiversity in your sandbed.

It had an extra phpbb tag in it. No worries, I just removed the extra code...

Cheers
Steev

ya I ran a site for a bit it is the details that get ya. AS for the DSB , I have what about a new set up that is in no rush.I geuss I could put 2" in and let it cure up for a week or 2 then add some live sand? Or would it be better to cure it with the live sand and perhaps a live rock or so?

If its a new tank..I would cure it all at once. If its an older tank, I would cure it in a rubber maid tub all at once...unless money is the issue.

Squishy

ok thanx , money is a issue, but so is messing around with a bunch of sand in a rubbermaid.I was just unsure if the non live sand would some how effect the live sand

Back
Top Bottom