D'uh! dumb mistakes will cost ya!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i was doing my pwc over the weekend! Had water mixed up sitting for over 24 hours just doing the norm. Took my digital thermometer out of the water powerhead and heaterout... started to remove water from dt tan took out about 20 rather then my normal 10 nitrates were showing 20 anyhow tiger the point i lost my royal gramma due to my my digital heater being set for air temp and actuall heat being 86 degrees. By the time o notced i was already half way done took the plunge add cold tap to cool it down but forgot to add more salt... so not only did i lose a fish but salenity is ar 1.22 and iknow my poor corals have to stick it out till i can raise it safely...

I just can't believe i made such a dumb mistake
. The water even felt warm, just didn't dawn on me toll i seen the display tank hit 81 degrees which normal range thoughout the day is max 78 degrees.. all because my thermometer bottom got moved to air temp instead of water temp.. and i turned up the heater in the bin to get the water warmer. At least i didn't shock all the fish just the gramma died. Still a shane ruined my whole day

Something similar happened to my family with our first SW tank years ago. Put some medication directly into the tank and then noticed all inverts and corals looked horrible, saved them by moving them to a bucket of new saltwater with a heater and a powerhead. Came home one evening and found the heat sensor had fallen out of the bucket, turned it into a big hot smelly bucket of mush. Not a happy sight at all.

Horrible.. thank goodness that didn't happen to me. I woulda quit right then and there.

Back
Top Bottom