Dumb Q??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grouchy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 120gal tank and would like to setup a sump system. I was wondering if I can drill the hole in the aquarium myself and if so, how can I do it safely. I already have a 90gal reef tank but it was setup for a sump when I purchased it. thx

Wow, I wouldn't try it. Perhaps a glass company could help you with that. You would also have to install some kind of overflow in the corners too, not an easy project.
Have you considered a HOB overflow to deliver the water to the sump?

No, I don't know much about HOB overflows do they work well?

Sure, ..google hang on back filters. Much info out there. Your LFS should have a variety too.

Agree with Quarryshark on not drilling yourself. If you do indeed decide to do this, be very VERY careful or you'll crack the glass bigger than you know what. If it must be drilled, I'd advise about getting someone from a glass shop to do it for you or perhaps an auto body shop that fixes cracked windshields.

Hold on. Which tank is going to be the sump and which tank is goign ot be the main aquarium???

When I read you post I understood that you have a 90gallon main tank that is RR and you want to use the 120g as the sump. If this is true then there is no reason to drill anything at all. If the 90g is RR then it is already drilled or has an overflow box. The 120g as a sump would nto need to be drilled. Jsut put a pump in it to return water to the main tank.

If you are doing this some other way please explain.

I don't like overflow boxes cause they don't always work where there are power outages.

I think the 120 is to be a separate system. You can drill a tank on your own but an experience glass cutter would be better. There is a guy in my area that will come to your house to drill holes.

Back
Top Bottom