dunb ? sky lights lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
was reading and seen someone stated that if ya wanted the best lighting ya could cut a sky light into ya roof !!! would that really work ??? i know in illinois it wouldnt due to 90% of the days are cloudy here but what if ya lived in florida ???

was reading and seen someone stated that if ya wanted the best lighting ya could cut a sky light into ya roof !!! would that really work ???

Yes it would, there was an article in Marine Fish and Reef, USA a year or so ago where the author did just that to light his 2000g reef tank.

after the inital investment, it's cheap too ;)

Solatube I think is one brand, that has a parabolic lense and mirror system to gather in light and bring it straight down

only problem I guess would be, cloudy days

also if you rely on sunlight completely, you would not have water depth simulation, that is, your 2 ft deep tank would be emulating a 2ft deep reef in terms of light color and intensity, which I think is why actinic is so popular is to artificially increase the 'depth' the tank operates at, providing increased blue light that is not found right at the surface

guys doesn't it get cloudy over the ocean too? i would think that in a place like florida or even other places it wouldn't matter if it were cloudy somedays. they have to survive like that in the wild? i dont know.

Back
Top Bottom