Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Duncan Coral Last Help....

Ok I have posted alot about my tank going down hill. First off I was using 15 gallons of distilled water a week. Finally thought to test the water and it was at 164 tds. DISTILLED WATER!! So bought a 5 stage Ro/Di from brs and been doing a 15% water change every 3 days. As many of you know my duncans were once HUGE and the pride of my tank. Now they have been closed for 2 months. Started with a yellow dust substance on it and now it peaks its polyps out for a few min a day and right back in. this is happening to 2 different Duncan colonies. Should I dip them in coral revive dip or give them a iodine bath and hope for the best? they have been in the same spot for 5 years. NOTHING has changed in regards to lighting or water movement. Any advice?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Gotta ask for info first, what are your parameters at? Nitrate and phos? Alk and cal?

Your Duncans are closing cause they are not happy, do you have a lot of soft coral that could be sending out toxins?

How old is the tank? If it's in the same spot for 5 years I'd assume its been around a while, could your sand bed be going toxic? Old tank syndrome? Are your other corals looking good?

To really help there is so much info you need to give up. First things first, check all parameters, then go from there...

Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I just found your last post, I notice you never indicated what your parameters were at. We always think water changing is a good thing but if your alk is at 5 and you do a change and it swings up to 11 then you could be shocking the coral. Its really important to know what your water is at when problems start.

I always start with alk, then calcium and follow up with nitrate and phosphate. My Duncans hate alk swings, my old 50 gallon was famous for it and they'd hide until things evened out.

Tags
coral, duncan coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com