Duncan growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spotted

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I picked up a Duncan 2 weeks ago. A nice 2 head piece. Since then it has sprouted 2 new heads that have gotten a good size. Is it possible that they grow that fast? Actually i just found a 3rd head that is just sprouting. So 3 new heads in 2 weeks?

ForumRunner_20130407_134303.jpg

Sorry its a crappy picture from my cellphone, but you can see the 2 new larger heads here.
This is growing really well, but I had a colony of xenia wither away and another colony of yellow polyps are just barely hanging on. I got several frags of zoas doing really well too.

My girlfriend got me one with two heads for valentine's day - it now has 8!

They all popped out in the first month and since have just been growing in size.

I spot feed occasionally

I have had mine for a couple months and just now am getting my first head to sprout. It might be my lighting isn't powerful enough but I have started to spot feed it once a week now. That may be it, I want it to grow before I upgrade my tank so it doesn't get lost in there. How long do the new heads take to get big?

Duncans grow fast. I have a couple of colonies that just take off. If you are having trouble with yellow polyps, I'd be concerned. Can you tell us more about your tank, size, lighting, and current parameters?

Benn kinda busy at work as of late. My tank parameters:
120 gallons
ca 400
dkh 9
po34 .25
no3 0
nh3nh4 .25
ph 7.8
no2 0
salinity 35
temp 78.1
Chinese 212w LED 2:1 white:blues single fixture about 16" from water surface

I think the light may be too strong, I have noticed that my coraline algae won't grow on the tops of the rocks directly exposed to the light. The shadows and underside have grown maroon colored coraline.
All my corals except a couple colonies of zoa are currently located on the sand bed. I had a second fixture, but it is currently beoing replaced becasue it broke so all the coral is located on the "dark" side of the tank.
This is actually my second colony of yellow polyps I have lost, but like I said, the rest of the corals are doing great.

Started with 18 head nd soon after polyps started growing 43 now! The branching skeleton growth is the slowest.

Back
Top Bottom