Duncan help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a Duncan a few days ago, it's looking great!! How often can I target feed and what are my options to feed? Here it is...

Attachments

• image-3951499.jpg
    image-3951499.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 114
Nice duncan! I had one like it and loved it. You don't actually need to feed it at all, just make sure it is getting enough light. I'd say it is since it looks so happy. Maybe once a week if you want to feed it something small. I used to feed mine once and awhile just because it was cool to watch.

Sniperhank said:
Nice duncan! I had one like it and loved it. You don't actually need to feed it at all, just make sure it is getting enough light. I'd say it is since it looks so happy. Maybe once a week if you want to feed it something small. I used to feed mine once and awhile just because it was cool to watch.

What did you feed it?

Drop a couple mysis or brine shrimp on it..... but do so sparingly. I feed my corals a little bit once a week, and it does help their color & growth, but overdoing it is bad for the phosphates.

Awkwardly, I found that the Duncan will grow larger if you don't feed. I believe this is because of its branching style of growth. If you feed shrimp, etc, it will stay content. But if you let it filter from the tank, it will grow more heads to support the colony. Just my 2 cents.

15 heads in 6 months on my ORA purple Duncan.

Readingexcalibur said:
Awkwardly, I found that the Duncan will grow larger if you don't feed. I believe this is because of its branching style of growth. If you feed shrimp, etc, it will stay content. But if you let it filter from the tank, it will grow more heads to support the colony. Just my 2 cents.

15 heads in 6 months on my ORA purple Duncan.

This has two visible heads and one more starting in the back, and possible another, to early to tell.

What type of Duncan is this do you know? I'm still new to this hobby :)

You know, I have researched plenty into identification and I have never came across specific Duncan species. I know a lot about them do to them being, IMO, the easiest LPS coral to keep.

With that said, I do see a difference between An everyday Duncan and an aquacultered ORA Duncan coral. In ORA, you generally will have a purple skirt. I think there are many morphs out there, I would say you have a normal Duncan, and I would be willing to bet that the darker lines in your coral will eventually turn all green. It is a nice piece and I would make sure you hold on to it!

There are several different morphs. I had one that was entirely purple and currently have 2, one is entirely green and the other has a purple base and appears to have green heads. To my knowledge they are all the same thing, similar to different zoa morphs. The only place I have seen a duncan listed under anything differently was on saltwaterfish.com having a duncan and a duncanopsammia under their SPS section, even though it is even labeled an SPS. But the scientific name is Duncanopsammia axifuga for all I've seen.

Sniperhank said:
There are several different morphs. I had one that was entirely purple and currently have 2, one is entirely green and the other has a purple base and appears to have green heads. To my knowledge they are all the same thing, similar to different zoa morphs. The only place I have seen a duncan listed under anything differently was on saltwaterfish.com having a duncan and a duncanopsammia under their SPS section, even though it is even labeled an SPS. But the scientific name is Duncanopsammia axifuga for all I've seen.

Yes, different morphs, same name! I do however find it odd to classify a Duncan as an SPS. I do not think I could trust a vender that could not classify a coral correctly.

It is classified correctly. There is one under LPS and another under SPS, just labeled as a LPS in the name. It is odd...just unsure as to why besides the fact that it could be some sort of different morph or a bushy rather than branching possibly. IDK.

Back
Top Bottom